+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from an Orbe?

I'm Matt.

Default Upgrading from an Orbe?

This is quite speculative, but interested in other peoples views.
    Currently I have an Orbe/Ekos/Lyra Kleos, into an AR PH5 phono-stage.
    Now I really do love this combo. Although I also stream music via Tidal, there's just something about the vinyl front end that does it for me.
    However, I 'may' shortly be in a position to spend a bit on my system. So if I decided to upgrade from my Orbe etc set-up, what would people suggest? I've had an LP12 (which is where the Ekos came from), I've heard the Rega rp10 but would not switch to it.
    How much would a decent upgrade cost? Something from Avid maybe?
    Alternatively, would people suggest sticking with the Orbe but changing the arm ( to an SME V at a guess) or Phono Stage?
    All views appreciated!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicatel View Post
    Now I really do love this combo. Although I also stream music via Tidal, there's just something about the vinyl front end that does it for me.
    However, I 'may' shortly be in a position to spend a bit on my system. So if I decided to upgrade from my Orbe etc set-up, what would people suggest? I've had an LP12 (which is where the Ekos came from), I've heard the Rega rp10 but would not switch to it.
    Alternatively, would people suggest sticking with the Orbe but changing the arm ( to an SME V at a guess) or Phono Stage?
    All views appreciated!
    Hi mate.
    My decks a "Gorbe" (A Gyro with all the Orbe bits on it) and when I changed my Michell Technoarm to a SME V something quite special happened.
    There's a real magic using the V on the Michell platform, really brings out the best in the deck.

At this level maybe diminishing returns kicks in?
    I think you could throw a large chunk of change for a small improvement, my thoughts are to make the best of what you have and stick a V on there.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicatel View Post
    All views appreciated!
    What particular character/aspect of the current setup do you wish to improve on?

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Hi mate.
    My decks a "Gorbe" (A Gyro with all the Orbe bits on it) and when I changed my Michell Technoarm to a SME V something quite special happened.
    There's a real magic using the V on the Michell platform, really brings out the best in the deck.

At this level maybe diminishing returns kicks in?
    I think you could throw a large chunk of change for a small improvement, my thoughts are to make the best of what you have and stick a V on there.
    I have an Orbe and the change from Origin Live Silver to SME IV was a massive upgrade.

I'm John.

For an arm only upgrade I would say either SME V or Origin Live Conqueror.
    However for TT and arm upgrade I would suggest you get a session with the new Origin Live Resolution mk4 (junk the std D200 motor for the D300) with optional balanced PSU & upgrade Sovereign platter, this will set you back around £4.7k (and give you 95% of the Sovereign performance with a saving of about £1,000 on the Sovereign price) .
    Then the sale of your current TT & arm should easily cover the cost of an OL Conqueror.

I'm mark.

Try and listen to an SP10, Garrard or Thorens 124, very different presentation which you may like.

Replacing an Orb with a more expensive suspended belt drive may be better and suit you, but I would explore other paths first.

*Add Notts Analogue, mass decks offer different presentation.

I had a AC Orbe with Audiomods arm but the step up when I changed to a SME 20/2 with a V arm was not small. There is one for sale I think on PFM for a fair price.
    Paul.

I'm Dave.

Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace or Dais. Job done.

I'm Slav.

As long as your Orbe does speed right don't change it , spend as much as possible on arm and your cartridge ( if coming close to end ) then look into phonostage IMO

I'm Matt.

Thanks for the input guys.
    The swap to an SME V is a response I was expecting as a lot of people say it’s the classic arm for the Orbe & Michell used the V when designing the Orbe.
    I’ve not had experience of a SME V vs Ekos comparison & as most people use an ekos in a Linn based system, it’s not often a neutral comparison can be found.
    I’ve not heard the NA decks for quite a while & I’ve never heard an SME turntable.
    What areas am I looking to improve upon?........Nothing stands out as an annoying weakness with my current set up, but I am happy to accept that there are turntables which are definitively better than the Orbe. I couldn’t justify spending more on a disposable item, so the Kleos is top end of my cart list. I’ve only had it a short while, so hopefully it will give me a good few years of service.
    Any future spend would be a long term purchase & not a stepping stone.
    A different Phono Stage may be an option I guess, but again, I wouldn’t know where to go to definitively better my existing PH5.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast