+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading from an Orbe?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace or Dais. Job done.
    Agree I have had both Orbe & Dais and the Dais is in a different league.

I'm Charlie.

Lots of choices

NA Dais
    Platine Verdier
    TW Acustic
    Thales
    Brinkmann
    Plus more
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Mike.

Went from 14 years with Orbe/Five on wall shelf to N.A. Dais about 6 or 7 years ago. First change was to have a stable platform for the Dais as I didn't fancy 44 kg (or whatever) on a Target shelf, not that it would fit.

I personally think that if you're contemplating a change from the Orbe, choose another format rather than try to improve on the belt-driven suspended one. Sure, you may incrementally improve on things with an SME 20/3 or top Avid etc. but changing to a mass deck, or even a retro move to a non suspended oldie (Garrard, Goldring) will, I feel not only bring a greater beneficial change but allow you to install 12" tonearms whenever you wish. Instead of the SME Five, e.g., you can slaver at the Five-twelve !

Keep your Kleos as you say, and as I had a Clavis and Helikon on my Five/Orbe, it can be guaranteed with this combo, but could sound even better (subjectively) on a mass deck, for example. I had my friend's Titan i on my N.A. Ace Anna 12" for a few days and even my friend was impressed compared to his Orbe/Five. However, he's now gone to SME 20/3 with Phantom arm but hasn't got round to installing his Titan i instead of his Helikon yet. Twelve inch arms do something rather nice to upper coil cart's, and, dare I say it, add a little more music to the Lyra's hifi presentation..

The Ekos is reputedly a good arm known for bass presentation but not sure if the late John Michell would have given the thumbs up. He did indeed have the Five and a Koetsu Rosewood (sig ?) on his prototype Orbe when I visited (to buy his ProAc speakers). I later bought one of the first Orbes; my friend got one soon after.

I'm Sandro.

Orbe to RP 10 no not really big step back IMO

Avid? I have the Volvere SP whit SME V If you buy Avid it is made for the SME so you stuck whit the SME which is way overpriced now, don't get me wrong, is quite good but whit 9K you can do much better, I do not think AVID make cheaper TT that would be comparable to ORBE

Make me an offer for both, they are less than one year old, and I will rush to the shop to get the Origin live Conqueror arm and sovereign turn table as seen on... here at the North west audio show https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...how-2018/page6 here there is a nice picture of the set up but you must read the tread as there are many nice comment about this set up and for me it was best at show
    thinking about it the Conqueror will work nicely on the Orbe

Confession time... I got the SME V because I wanted one from the day it came out but could not afford it, then when I could afford it I was not allowed to get one, so the very first day after selling the house after splitting up whit GF of 17 years I got one and that was the second most stupid thing I did whit starting to smoke again in first place. AVID was made for the SME so I got that as well

SME V has a reputation "the best arm in the world", but hang on a minute that slogan is 20 maybe more years old do not fall for it

I'm Nari.

I have a soft spot for the Michell Orbe having owned one around 20 years ago lovely turntable very much underrated and a great company to deal with superb support. I have found the sme v the best match however after had quite a few old and new ones they have got steadily better and also two arms never quite sound the same so a bit hit and miss. I have friend who recently changed his V for another the previous one from early 2000 sounded quite flat and dull he just purchased a new one and the improvements were quite staggering so much more free and open.

I find buying an Sme tonearm used quite difficult as one never knows what one is purchasing so best to find a dealer who understands them. Sme servicing has become very expensive too a series V service can cost up to £1000 starting from £600 so this has to be also considered.

You need a dealer with experience who can assist I have found the same with Graham and Triplanar tonearms too and a few others. I still think a good sample of a Sme V will be an excellent match to the orbe. I have heard the orbe and sme when well set up with the right cartridge sound superb.

Turntables are tricky beasts at the best of times best of luck with it all. If funds are tight the Audionote arms are very good I still prefer the sme but would rather have a new Audio Note than a misused s/h Sme personally.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    For an arm only upgrade I would say either SME V or Origin Live Conqueror.
    However for TT and arm upgrade I would suggest you get a session with the new Origin Live Resolution mk4 (junk the std D200 motor for the D300) with optional balanced PSU & upgrade Sovereign platter, this will set you back around £4.7k (and give you 95% of the Sovereign performance with a saving of about £1,000 on the Sovereign price) .
    Then the sale of your current TT & arm should easily cover the cost of an OL Conqueror.
    Funnily enough that's what my brother's just done. He replaced his "Gorbe" with the Origin Live Resolution + upgrades and is telling me it is a considerable improvement. He had the OL Conqueror on the Michel and transferred that over along with his Cadenza cartridge so any improvements are down to the deck. I trust his judgement, he tends to keep stuff for a very long time so doesn't swap gear lightly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12