+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Repurposed old Caiman dac Maplins linear power supply....

I'm Gary.

Default Repurposed old Caiman dac Maplins linear power supply....

Have a few of these kicking around Gaz towers, so of a bored Saturday decided on a whim to try something Id been putting off for a while.
    On the back of improvements from my recent DIY “Gutwire” earth cable, was feeling a bit tweaky again so opened up one of the Maplin supplies and set voltage down to 12V.

I run a network audio digital setup, where my Dac/streamer is fed Music via ethernet from my Router. The Router is supplied ethernet from a Virgin Media Superhub.
    The Routers crap switch mode psu runs 12V 2A, so within the Maplins range...cool.

The Maplins linear supply is hardwired from my balanced mains unit, so you’d hope that feeding the Router with this should be a little better electrically than the Cheapo chinese switch mode supply it came with?
    School of thought in the benefits of eliminating switch mode supplies to eliminate noise, RF interferance etc, absolutely works for other kit, but I’ve never tried it on my Router feeding my Dac though?

Result.

Noticed improvement right away, top end especially the higher frequency stuff like strings and vocals flow better, sounding a touch less stridant and more natural.
    Piano’s got noticably more weight and air about it, easier to hear the subtle spacial cues...cool.
    Glad that tweaky thought popped into my head this morning, its a tweak well worth doing imo if you run a network audio setup.

Only switcher in my Network chain now is the one feeding my Virgin Superhub I’m using as a modem mode feeding the Router.
    After checking I’m happy to report its 12V 2.5A again, another Maplins linear coming up to power that.
    Might even make another improvement, who knows, the psu is lying unused....so why not.

Get rid of the switch mide supplies if you can folks, the noise they can put back into mains can effect sound quality.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 28-07-2018 at 18:49.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

Good idea. Marco has a linear on his router I think
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

Good one Gaz

+ Reply to Thread