+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Rare EAR 890 valve power amp

I'm Ade.

I knew this wouldn't sit around long! I appreciate it's sold but if someone could humour me?
    I have the EAR 834 integrated (again a lovely beast sound and looks wise) but always on the look out for an upgrade as I feel the preamp section is the weakest link on my amp. This 890 power amp with something like the Tisbury pre, would this be a significant upgrade to mine or a more powerful sideways move?
    If anyone can offer advice, I'd appreciate it. I tried the V20 once and although loved the bass control found it just a little too sterile in its presentation compared to mine.
    Thoughts anyone?
    Great price as well...

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Parcelmonkey View Post
    I knew this wouldn't sit around long! I appreciate it's sold but if someone could humour me?
    I have the EAR 834 integrated (again a lovely beast sound and looks wise) but always on the look out for an upgrade as I feel the preamp section is the weakest link on my amp. This 890 power amp with something like the Tisbury pre, would this be a significant upgrade to mine or a more powerful sideways move?
    If anyone can offer advice, I'd appreciate it. I tried the V20 once and although loved the bass control found it just a little too sterile in its presentation compared to mine.
    Thoughts anyone?
    Great price as well...
    Only a beneficial move if you need the additional power. 8 x EL34s in the 834 is enough for most. The V20 is only 20w - it shouldn't have any more bass control than your 834. It it felt like it does then you probably need a set of output tubes.

I'm Ade.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Only a beneficial move if you need the additional power. 8 x EL34s in the 834 is enough for most. The V20 is only 20w - it shouldn't have any more bass control than your 834. It it felt like it does then you probably need a set of output tubes.
    Thanks for reply. I've had the EAR serviced and tubes replaced since, when I did a side by side comparison it was a couple of years back and I liked my 834 at the time better and still do. I just wondered what the sonic presentation would be like from this and a passive pre compared to mine? I love my 834 as the service Mr T de P gave it was sublime but itches are there to be scratched you know...

lordmortlock Guest

Is the pre section passive Ade? I know that some of the EAR amps have that. If it is, you could open it right up and try a pre or two up front and see how it sounds

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lordmortlock View Post
    Is the pre section passive Ade? I know that some of the EAR amps have that. If it is, you could open it right up and try a pre or two up front and see how it sounds
    I'd agree with that. On many EAR amps there's a pre-in option that bypasses the internal passive. Try a tube pre up front and see how it goes.

In my view the EL34 and KT90/KT88 EAR amps all sound pretty similar, which one you go/which one sounds best for you depends on what your speakers need. The only EAR amp I found I didn't like was the 509 monoblocks, sounded pretty flat and boring to me, didn't stay very long in my setup.

I'm Ade.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmortlock View Post
    Sadly no! I asked when I took it up for its service and it didn't have this option, although others in the range do. I'm just interested to hear what other amps do, my Marantz PM4 sounds great too but the EAR is still better. Will have to wait for a V12 to come up near me and try that, or do a bake off thingy...

I'm Ade.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I'd agree with that. On many EAR amps there's a pre-in option that bypasses the internal passive. Try a tube pre up front and see how it goes.

In my view the EL34 and KT90/KT88 EAR amps all sound pretty similar, which one you go/which one sounds best for you depends on what your speakers need. The only EAR amp I found I didn't like was the 509 monoblocks, sounded pretty flat and boring to me, didn't stay very long in my setup.
    I was lucky enough to try a Modwright LS36.5 pre with a class D Primare power amp whilst mine was away for service; loaned to me by a very kind gent, I loved the Moddie, not so keen on the class D. That's what got me thinking.

I'm Mike.

Must have been a synergy thing then, Tom, as we had my friend's 899 (890 with pass. pre.) as a power amp against my 509s, both with my 912 up front. Tonally similar but we all preferred my 509s into my Quad 2905s. Fairly marginal but distinct difference.

montesquieu Guest

Interesting. Into Tannoy 15in Golds the 509s were a snoozathon, compared to V20 or 534. Preamp was an SJS Model Two. (Active). I'm not generally a fan of passives.

I'm Justin.

The only time.I have heard 509s was into Tim's own speakers. The ones that use a dynamic driver to push a flat panel.

That did sound good, I thought, within the size constraint of the speakers. No snoozation there it definitely sounded quite alive. That said it doesn't mean it wouldn't have been more alive with another amp.

Tim was blaggin' good about his TT that day, LOL.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast