+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FS: Rare EAR 890 valve power amp

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

Tim was blaggin' good about his TT that day, LOL.
    Saw that when I was there 5 years ago. Some kind of magnetic mechanism and it looked very impressive if somewhat complex. I vaguely remember T de P telling me that a few were made but it was simply too expensive to produce as a commercial proposition. He's had a go at most audio things and I can understand his not trying tone-arms or cart's but rather surprised he never got round to tuners as they've complemented amplification for well over half a century. A valved tuner? There have been a few but not in the last 40 odd years, to my knowledge.

I'm Nick.

I just wondered what the sonic presentation would be like from this and a passive pre compared to mine?
    Hi Ade
    Imho the presentation of the 890 was very similar to a good solid-state amp. It's not a warm and cosy kind of valve amp. Very detailed and revealing sound, with great grip on the bottom end and clear highs. In fact it was a little too SS for my tastes, as I also own a McIntosh MA7000, 250w pc, and there was little to choose between them sound-wise, at least to my old ears. That's a compliment to the 890, but it wasn't what I was looking for from a valve amp. I was using it with a passive pre, or sometimes with my EAR 834p as pre-amp.

For someone else tho', it could represent the best of both worlds - solid-state clarity and grip with a bit of valve air and sparkle...

I'm Ade.

Thanks for that insight. Just what I was hoping to hear...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123