+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UTC A12 microphone transformer as phono step-up transformer

montesquieu Guest

Default UTC A12 microphone transformer as phono step-up transformer

Bit of a long gestation period on this one ... many years ago (over a decade, indeed), in the midst of my then quest for that mythical beast, the perfect phono step-up, Guy at Puresound was kind enough to loan me one which featured the UTC A12 transformer - a legend in the world of mixing desks and microphones, but also at the time occasionally put to use as a phono step-up.

I was impressed with this at the time (used with a Koetsu Rosewood I had at the time, if I recall correctly). I believe Guy's was hard wired to a 1:30 ratio, but in fact the A12 (and the A11, which is also sometimes used as a phono step-up) is very flexible in its configuration options, with a wide choice of primaries and secondaries and the option to use the secondaries in parallel or series. Anyway the A12 has to go back as it was a loan, but it was remembered fondly for its resolute bass, strong dynamic capability, and musical presentation.

Microphone/mixing desk transformers were quite popular as SUTs in those days, coming off the back of the vintage revival in Japan, in part because there were relatively few commercial options around at the time and many people either went vintage or used active head amps. (Not so nowadays with quite a few designed-for-phono step-ups available at all sorts of price points). I later came to own several such transformers, from Beyer, Newcombe, and Altec - in my explorations I have also had SUTs from Audio Note (fan AN-UK S2 , S4 and AN-J/Kondo era AN S6c), EAR (MC3), Hashimoto (HM7), Stevens and Billington (TX103), Ortofon (various), KAB, Bob's Devices, Denon, Fidelity Research and a few other random ones. Fairly recently I bought Miyajima's mono step-up, the ETR-Mono, which works beautifully with my mono Miyajima cartridges. And the notion of 'best' really is mythical - even the best one I've ever heard, the AN S9 (which, since you ask, was breathtakingly fabulous), would probably sound a bit rubbish with anything other than an Audio Note Io.

At the moment I'm fairly spoiled as my EAR 912 phono stage has some very high quality internal step-up transformers, similar to (but not quite the same in terms of its four available step-up ratios, and also higher quality) compared to the EAR MC4 external SUT. But old habits die hard and when Guy alerted me out of the blue to a pair at sensible money on ebay in the US, I decided this was an itch I still wanted to scratch.

The transformers duly arrived, and Andrew Rothwell of this parish volunteered to help me do something with them, in the form of creating a switchable SUT - something that required not just construction ability but also some proper maths, and a willingness to measure and experiment with the various switching options. At one point we were looking at a very complex switching arrangement that would allow some very low ratios in addition to the usual ones, but in the end we settled (out of the many combinations available which ranged from 1:67 down to about 1:6) at 1:33.5, 1:20 and 1:12.5.

Into a 47k phono stage such as the MM stage of the EAR 912, Andrew calculated that these ratios would give reflected impedances of 42, 117 and 300 ohms respectively - a nice fit for a decent range of cartridges including Ikeda, SPU and Miyajima stereo which are my staple at the minute.

Certain ratios/wiring combinations were rejected because of bandwith limitations - relative to transformers custom designed for phono use, the UTC transformers have a high number of windings - good for bass performance (tons of inductance) but not so good for headroom. In the end the ratios chosen were measured to have decent bandwidth (above 20 khz) when used with cartridges in the normal range for impedance and gain.

The result arrived earlier today - Andrew doing a good job of keeping the wiring complexity hidden from view with just a bypass toggle and three-position switch for each channel, while showing off the UTCs on the top. Took a little while to find a zero hum positioning (the internal SUTs in the EAR 912 are silent - tough competition) but then we were off.

The UTC was very much as I remember it. Very sold bass performance with fabulous articulation, lovely mids, impressive dynamics. Initial perception was a touch less detail than the EAR but a couple of back to backs suggested that might not really be the case - more of a different balance. Certainly very musical. It's staying in for a few weeks while I play with it - the real test will come when I take it out again and return to the EAR.

Anyway some pics - delighted with this and grateful to Andrew for his work in putting this together for me, also to Guy for remembering and sending me the link!

I'm Andrew.

How come you always have these really ace ideas?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Bigman80 Guest

Looks like a proper job, well done Andrew. Impressive stuff.

Lookin forward to the full writeup.

montesquieu Guest

Westlower and Edwardlon are visiting tomorrow, no doubt they'll have some comments.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Westlower and Edwardlon are visiting tomorrow, no doubt they'll have some comments.
    Two lots of opinion would be lovely! Look forward to that.

I'm gordan.

I can only quote my post from 2014, about UTC-10 (very similar to 12 soundwise)... next to beasts like Luxman 8030, Lundahl 1943, Auditorium A23

"UTC A10

A classic US vintage SUT with different primary loading options (from 50 to 600 ohm) and 50k on secondary. Originaly produced as an input transformer, it turns to be a perfect choice for SPU in 50-50k mode providing about 1:33.3 ratio, though in reality it gives a few dbs less than both luxman and lundahl with 1:32. Soundwise it was a biggest surprise of the show - handicapped in detail and resolution but brilliant in tone, naturalness and especially in visceral bass reproduction. Unfortunately it's very prone to hum we couldn't fully get rid of (all other 3 were spotless in this matter) but this didn't stop us from enjoying its full music bloom. We both agreed it was a star of the evening. I may add one has to be really careful about it's matching, the bass could go into overblow or may lack a detail."

"The deck was Martin Bastin fixed Garrard 301 with FR64fx, additional FR c/w and SPU Spirit. RIAA was a DIY-ed Ron Welborne stage from early 90s and the rest of the system as usual here - DHT 10Y amps, DIY TVC and Oris Swing horns.

As we haven't had too much time, we simplified the whole proces to listening to several tracks with every device we tested. The chosen ones were Pharaoh Sanders - Astral Traveling, Mulatu Astatke - Yekermo Sew (from Timeless live LP), Johny Cash - Ain't No Grave, Fleetwood Mac - Tusk, Van Morrison - Tore Down A la Rimbaud. Nothing particular about these tracks except we are used to test gear with them so we kinda know them well."
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Guy.

Thumbs up

Nice write ups Tom & Andrew.

montesquieu Guest

Thanks Andrew it seems I did manage then to pass on what you told me fairly accurately!

And Gordan - I remember that write-up the findings didn't contradict my own experience with the A12 some years ago, I certainly had it in mind when I went ahead with this project.

While my first impressions above of the A12 were extremely favourable and I thought I'd get a second opinion when Adam and Edward came round .. however in the event we ended up mostly just listening to tunes and playing with mono since mono was a fairly new experience for Edward, while Adam (who also owns a Miyajima Zero) was keen on hearing the Miyajima ETR-Mono step-up.

So in the end we didn't get much chance to really evaluate ... the first half of the (stereo) listening session was conducted using the A12, and the reception was pretty favourable, though I think it was the Radford STA100 (see the other thread) that stole the show. We switched to the internal SUT in the EAR912 for the remainder of the stereo session. The consensus - such as it was - was that the internal SUT has a bit more sparkle in the highs. Thought it's fair to say it wasn't the focus of the day.

I then spent quite a bit of time on Sunday doing more of an extended back to back and I'm not sure the decision is at all clear-cut. Yes there is a very slight difference in treble presentation, and I think that's what gives the perception of a shade less detail.

I say slight - on Sunday I set up two electrically identical cartriges running in my two tonearms (Miyajima Madake and Takumi) - same gain and 16 ohm coil at the cartridge. The 1:20 setting (117) ohm on the U12, and and the '12 ohm' setting on the EAR - approx 1:18 / 145 ohm that I customarily use for the Miyajimas are pretty close, so I thought I'd do a focused back to back comparison. (I preferred the 1:20 setting to the 1:10 and the 1:33 settings - in fact the 1:33 didn't seem to provide that much more gain than 1:20).

It was clear right away that internals in the EAR sound more modern, neutral ... seemingly they simply provide gain, they are dead silent and very much in-keeping with the EAR as a whole as a fuss-free, quiet, top notch preamp for playing vinyl. It has an appropriate amount of top-end energy.

But into the EAR's MM LC phono stage, A12 had a huge amount of charm ... it is a very musical SUT, very engaging, very solid and clear in the bass, creamy in the mids, and the highs are absolutely all there if not quite so sparkling. Fantastic dynamics, and really quite sweet. With no internal in the 912 to compare it to, you would not describe it as closed in or lacking in any way.

Anyway I've left it in, I've found a totally silent spot for it (as silent as the internals) and I'm going to leave it to play for a bit. I wasn't necessarily expecting it to compete head on with the EAR internals - there would almost be no point in this exercise if it sounded identical - and I'm very pleased with it. Very enjoyable. It really swings!

I'm going to leave it as-is for now but if it turns out I only ever use the 1:20 setting I might just take Andrew up on the Zobel network idea.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 30-07-2018 at 21:05.

+ Reply to Thread