+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DAC replacement required.

I'm Justin.

China is the land of the copy. They are all copying the Americans or elsewhere and each other.

I have seen the same RCA connector design multiple times on eBay and they either look the same with a different brand name or are actually slightly different in manufacture of the same design because they are an inexact copy.

They do it with medicine, booze, food etc. It is a real problem especially for the local Chinese. So buyer beware. I am sure it extends to hi-fi but also fairly sure hi-fi copying isn't so prolific as other areas.

There may be bootleg Xiangs around. Those Xiangs may even use bits destined for the OEM, but made to lesser QC. I am only speculating here. But I reckon it is well possible.

I'm Justin.

The point really is when buying Chinese stuff it is hard to know where your product actually came from and if it is what it says it is.

It may be why some stuff fails so quickly i.e. you bought a dodgy version even though it looks pukka.

The risk is probably smallish for most items. But it is there I reckon.

I'm Luis.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Oh no - faulty SMSL M8? I don't think I'd heard of any SMSL issues before this.
    I guess part of what saves you money with this cheap Chinese gear is so-so quality control.

The linear PSU I have with my Topping D30 is this one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30W-DC15V...y/131515351686
    Which dac you currently have used? If we may ask...

Enviado do meu SM-A320FL através do Tapatalk

I'm gone.

I'm using the Topping D30 with the linear PSU I linked to.
    I've stopped looking for DACs (even before I got my current ear infection) the D30 does everything I want for now. Although if a D30ii came out I would be very tempted to invest!

I'm not saying that it would suit everyone, but it ticks my boxes for transparency, detail and soundstaging /image focus.

I'll see if I can get a demo of the ISO DAC mentioned previously. Just out of curiosity.
    Last edited by jandl100; 01-08-2018 at 07:06.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I'm using the Topping D30 with the linear PSU I linked to.
    I've stopped looking for DACs (even before I got my current ear infection) the D30 does everything I want for now. Although if a D30ii came out I would be very tempted to invest!

I'm not saying that it would suit everyone, but it ticks my boxes for transparency, detail and soundstaging /image focus.

I'll see if I can get a demo of the ISO DAC mentioned previously. Just out of curiosity.
    Yes, just out of curiosity - I would be especially interested in your feedback now that I know you are entirely happy with the Topping. Then let's leave it at that! I just think the ISO-DAC is something specials (despite costing more than 4x the D30).

When it comes to Chinese DACs, I was very impressed back in the day with the Little Dot DAC 1; I need to refresh my memory on how that sounded now that my experience has grown.

I'm Hal.

The DAC I'm using most is the Lite AUDIO DAC60, with Bugle Boy tubes. Have had it for many years and wouldn't part with it.
    Without music, powerboat racing, photography and a whole stack of other stuff that floats my boat, life is just a non stop procession of deadlines and bills.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by hal55 View Post
    The DAC I'm using most is the Lite AUDIO DAC60, with Bugle Boy tubes. Have had it for many years and wouldn't part with it.
    Been curious about their DACs. Nearly bought one a while back. Nice set of valves in it. Should be good.

I'm Hal.

It is, most of the time it's had Tung Sol tubes and has never sounded less than excellent. I switched to Bugle Boys and love the sound of intimacy they bring to small scale works. The other dac i use is an xduoo xd05 which uses a AK4490 chip, its extremely good but in a different way, and frankly I think the Lite is superior on piano and the ability to draw you into a performance. It most definitely partners better with my new headphones, Jays u-jays, a night and day difference.
    It's been super reliable but the last year or two there has been an occasional failure to pick up the data stream straight of from switch on, just switching from optical to coax and back again has always fixed it straight off though.
    A long term very happy owner.
    Without music, powerboat racing, photography and a whole stack of other stuff that floats my boat, life is just a non stop procession of deadlines and bills.

I'm Bart.

Hey all,

Totally agree with Jerry, exactly the same happened to me, forgot about having DAC and focused on tunes......

"I've stopped looking for DACs , the D30 does everything I want for now. "
    "I'm not saying that it would suit everyone, but it ticks my boxes for transparency, detail and soundstaging /image focus. "

Regards

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Digibart View Post
    Hey all,

Totally agree with Jerry, exactly the same happened to me, forgot about having DAC and focused on tunes......

"I've stopped looking for DACs , the D30 does everything I want for now. "
    "I'm not saying that it would suit everyone, but it ticks my boxes for transparency, detail and soundstaging /image focus. "

Regards
    Hey Bart

I'm interested in the Topping for a 2nd system.

I already have the Xiang Sheng DAC-01 which I rate.

Have you compared them? I'm wondering if they have a different presentation?
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast