+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IP address issues with R-Pi

I'm Bill.

Default IP address issues with R-Pi

Hopefully someone can give me some help with an IP address issue with my R-Pi 3.

I use it on wi-fi, controlling Volumio with my Android phone, 9 times out of 10 the IP adress has changed and I can't access it. This is happening even if I leave it switched on.

Could someone please explain to me in laymans terms how to fix the IP address to stop this happening.

Many thanks,

Bill.
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Liam.

You should be able to assign or reserve the IP address for the Pi in the settings for your router. I've found different brands of router refer to this as different things and sometimes is not often the easiest thing to locate when you log into the router settings.

I'm Bill.

Had a look and can't see anything obviouse. Strangley, my current Pi IP adress is not showing as connected - but it is.

I'm Liam.

It could be something obscure like DHCP reservation and may not be in the basic settings. Essentially you are looking for something that ties together the current IP address for the Pi and its MAC address to that the router stops randomly assigning it an IP as part of its regular cycle.

I'm Grant.

my old provider, plusnet's router did this regularly, although not when in use. i used fing to keep track of it. talk talk router i have now doesnt seem to change things at all. static ip's are sometimes available which might sort the issue
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Liam.

Fing is a great little app to have on your phone/tablet to help with these types of things

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Sleighride View Post
    Fing is a great little app to have on your phone/tablet to help with these types of things
    +1 for fing.

I'm Simon.

Hi Bill,

Are you able to use the host name instead of the IP address? e.g. volumio.local

Simon.

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by simonh View Post
    Hi Bill,

Are you able to use the host name instead of the IP address? e.g. volumio.local

Simon.
    That works on the PC but not my phone.

I'm Simon.

Can you get the full hostname from e.g. Fing?

(I can access my Pi as ropiee.local or ropiee.fritz.box)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast