+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carver Line Array Speakers

I'm Martin.

He's always been a bit of a showman. You've got to get yourself noticed these days, it isn't like he is short on competition.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    He's always been a bit of a showman. You've got to get yourself noticed these days, it isn't like he is short on competition.
    I would agree with that. Carver offered the challenge that he could make his SS amp sound like any other amplifier (valve or SS) nominated. I believe Stereophile suggested the Levinson ML-2 (or it might have been the Conrad Johnson) design for him to 'mimic'. Can't remember the outcome, but I think Carver did a pretty good job.

Would place Bob Carver along with Nelson Pass as designers who like to "think outside of the box". Some would say Dan D'Agostino (Krell) does the same.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I would agree with that. Carver offered the challenge that he could make his SS amp sound like any other amplifier (valve or SS) nominated. I believe Stereophile suggested the Levinson ML-2 (or it might have been the Conrad Johnson) design for him to 'mimic'. Can't remember the outcome, but I think Carver did a pretty good job.

Would place Bob Carver along with Nelson Pass as designers who like to "think outside of the box". Some would say Dan D'Agostino (Krell) does the same.
    Rumour had it that it was a Conrad-Johnson but I don't know if they ever actually said. The outcome was that the panel agreed that he had done it.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Justin.

I'm prepared to bet serious dollar against myself that if I ever heard a pair I would not think they are as good as the description.

Anyway, Bob did hear and own some Scintillas back in the day, so he does have some saving graces LOL.

On first audition he declared them the best speakers he had ever heard. So I have to forgive him for The Amazing. Which I expect wasn't. Probably fairly decent, though.

I'm Martin.

Well no-ones' going to shell out the thick end of twenty K without a listen so as always the proof is in the pudding.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Chris.

Max Townshend made something similar, I seem to recall, about....20?30? years ago.

oh and the 'on yer bike' comment should surely be 'on yer Ferrari!'?
    Chris.

I'm Justin.

Wisdom make great loudspeakers. I heard a pair at Munich years ago and I was impressed. World class no question I thought.

I will post a pic if I remember, but it was basically a very tall super narrow affair with a huge corner sub.

A speaker system I will never forget. Therefore it must have been half decent, I reckon.

I'm Justin.

Here we go:

https://youtu.be/d6jBCaNyFXA

Sounding a little sharp here maybe but in the flesh impressive. Junk the DCS and use some decent amps should probably sort that out. The company is quite AV focused. The sub is huge shame you can't see it.

Expensive stuff unfortunately.

I'm Martin.

Not much bass on that recording they were using. I can't tell anything of consequence from these videos anyway, but I'd still rather they played something that's more difficult to reproduce well.

But you've heard them for real so I'll believe they are pretty capable.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Justin.

It could be the camera mics videos are meaningless really.

Anyway yup they are good. Very good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast