+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carver Line Array Speakers

I'm Martin.

Default Carver Line Array Speakers

We all know Carver made some good stuff because it's what Ferris Bueller used.

Check out these new line array speakers he's doing now:

http://www.bobcarvercorp.com/als
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Better be good for eighteen and a half grand!
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

well yeah, you would hope so!

The concept has always interested me. On paper it is a good solution. I seem to recall Paul Haynes built himself some.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A true vertical line source, will have a superbly wide angular dispersion (i.e. very low directivity) in the horizontal plane, but a lousy angular dispersion (i.e. very directional) in the vertical plane.

So the 'letter box effect' complained about with similar speakers (such as the tweeter panels of the Quad 57s) will, IMO, be exacerbated with the Carver designs. Unless, that is, he introduces a phase delay to the feeds of the units moving away from the centre unit.
    Barry

I'm Justin.

Ferris who????

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Ferris who????
    Someone who had a "day off" or it might have been an off-day.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Ferris who????
    On yer bike.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    A true vertical line source, will have a superbly wide angular dispersion (i.e. very low directivity) in the horizontal plane, but a lousy angular dispersion (i.e. very directional) in the vertical plane.

So the 'letter box effect' complained about with similar speakers (such as the tweeter panels of the Quad 57s) will, IMO, be exacerbated with the Carver designs. Unless, that is, he introduces a phase delay to the feeds of the units moving away from the centre unit.
    I thought the delay was pretty much essential to make them work?
    Current Lash Up:

Would have thought so, but then Carver's comment that reflections from the ceiling and floor turn the 'finite' line source into an infinite line source won't hold true.

Apart from listening to Quad 63s with their annular electrode structure being sequentially fed by a delay line, I haven't heard any line-source speakers, such as the Infinity Reference designs, or Apogees, so I can't really comment.
    Barry

I'm Justin.

I like Bob's crazy high power KT88 valve amps.

I didn't like his The Amazing speaker. It tried to look like an Apogee planar but used dynamic drivers.

I don't like the marketing bullshit on the linked webpage much. Too over the top.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast