+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New TT, Holy cow!!!

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Nice deck, I fancied one of these at one time, so it sounds much better than the Technics?
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm David.

Nice TT! If you do experiment with a mat, I'd be interested if you hear any differences. I might try the same with my Lumley Heliosphere.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    ^ Wow, much cooler than with a tatty bit of felt on the platter.

I'd be interested in your findings if you do experiment with mats/ no mat.
    Clearaudio make a couple, one of which is made of vinyl! http://www.analogueseduction.net/tur...table-mat.html
    And this acrylic mat might look best of all! http://www.analogueseduction.net/tur...table-mat.html
    I'm planning to do a mat/no mat test session when I get back on Tuesday evening. I'll post the results. I think there is a leaning towards mat for me as I see it as a soft safe base for vinyl, where as, perhaps incorrectly, I see putting a record directly onto the acrylic platter as a bit hard, and potentially damaging somehow.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    It looks like your anti-skate is very high
    I've got a set of scales on the way, and I'm looking for a suitable protractor, but I'll be honest and say I don't really have a clue how to set anti-skating so I'm going to have to google for some info.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I’m sure it’s great! So many preamps don’t have a phono stage any more, so if it has one it’s likely to be nice. But, I promise your table and cartridge could enjoy the benefits of an external phono pre, if you ever get the itch. Perhaps someone near you could loan you something to try?

My personal experience started out with the built in phono stage in my Parasound preamp. It sounded great! But, wanting to upgrade, as I always do, I purchased an external phono preamp, a $1000 unit I bought used for $400! And I adjusted it for my cartridge, spun my first record, and was floored at the difference! I was unaware my table/cartridge had such potential!

All things are relative, your mileage may vary, and all that, but I know your ‘table has great potential, that’s some top drawer gear you’ve got. If you ever get the itch, I’m sure there’s ground to be gained in the pre.

Russell
    I'm pretty happy with my set up, so a good phonostage is probably the most sensible purchase when the upgrade itch next strikes. (and funds allow)

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Nice deck, I fancied one of these at one time, so it sounds much better than the Technics?
    There is a reassuringly enjoyable solidness to the sound of the 1210, but the Clearaudio sounds more lively, clearer and more dynamic. If I was to border on the cheesy I would say the instruments just sound better.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by stairpost View Post
    I've got a set of scales on the way, and I'm looking for a suitable protractor, but I'll be honest and say I don't really have a clue how to set anti-skating so I'm going to have to google for some info.
    Possibly I have two ClearAudio protractors (paper ones) if you want one let me know ,

I'm Martin.

Sorry if I sound excited but no one else I could share it with would understand

Don't worry we all understand......a new TT is always something to shout about
    Now go get MORE VINYL!!!!
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by stairpost View Post
    There is a reassuringly enjoyable solidness to the sound of the 1210, but the Clearaudio sounds more lively, clearer and more dynamic. If I was to border on the cheesy I would say the instruments just sound better.
    More natural tone perhaps? I think the techie is not so good at that but does most things well.
    Have you got any mods other than the tonearm?
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    More natural tone perhaps? I think the techie is not so good at that but does most things well.
    Have you got any mods other than the tonearm?
    I do find the Techie, stock, to be a bit grey tonally. My Pioneer PL71 does a much better job here.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast