+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Components / Brands?

Default Components / Brands?

Maybe it would be nice to have separate forums setup by brands (Pioneer/Sansui/Marantz) and by components (Speakers/Amps/TT/Tape/Tube) for example. That way threads that are specific to each will be easier to organize and find.

But what do I know???

We don't really do brands on AoS. To us the badge on the front of a box is pretty meaningless as each component or combination of components is judged on its own merits. As for individual components we have separate sections for analogue and digital front ends, a vintage as well as a main section where we can talk hi-fi in general. We also have a section devoted to ancilliaries and tweaks that enable systems to work even better as a whole.

We consider systems in a holistic sense - remove one of the component parts and the system fails to operate. For this reason too many subdivisions risk stifling discussion that seeks to improve the quality of recorded music playback through a given system in its entirety.

Didn't mean it in that sense and I do fully understand your point of view. I am not interested in audio as a snobbish thing or "mine is better than yours" kind of idea. Not me at all, believe me. I guess that I was thinking of how there are some issues that tend to run within certain brands. For example, my Sansui AU717, a great integrated amp has the tendency at this point in life to develop "peeing" caps. That was all.

But I do like your point of view and if you take a look at my system you will see that it is a blend, bringing together a sound quality that I love, and especially love to share...

Cheers!

For example, my Sansui AU717, a great integrated amp has the tendency at this point in life to develop "peeing" caps. That was all.
    This is down to the capacitors used in the Sansui. Naim-Audio use similar caps that "pee" after about ten years or so but they offer a re-capping service.

Yes, I know mine is going to need. I am going to have to pull it out of the rack and leave a black hole with no rear speaker power for a few weeks. Just talked to the tech on Friday who is going to do the job. Figured I might as well have the entire amp gone over and brought up to spec. It is a great integrated amp IMHO...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Maybe it would be nice to have separate forums setup by brands (Pioneer/Sansui/Marantz) and by components (Speakers/Amps/TT/Tape/Tube) for example. That way threads that are specific to each will be easier to organize and find.

But what do I know???
    Interesting idea, Baja.

However we feel that there are enough topic sections/subsections at the moment to keep everyone occupied

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

You could of course start threads about each brand in the Blank Canvas section and see what people follow up with, you never know, you may just start a mini-cult or two.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Baja: Not to get hung up on a post, but have you considered doing the recap/driver trannys yourself? I have relatively little hard core electronics experience and I went through my AU-719 last fall/wnter and it was not only rather easy, it was so rewarding to wrap it all up, plug it in and hear that beautiful "Sansui sound"! I also removed the old speaker connectors and replaced them with new 14k gold 5-way terminals cuz I built new xovers for my speakers and made them bi-wire.

Just a thought
    Sansui: G-8000, AU-20000, AU-719, TU-666, TU-717, 2 AX-7s, SE-7, SC-1110, SC-3100, SR-333, SP-2000, SP-2500, RA-500. Yamaha: YP-D71. Denon: DL-160, DVD 2910. Shure V15 Type lll. Dual: 1019. Teac: PD-710M. Senheiser: HD600. Klipsch: Forte II. KLH: Model 10. Atwater Kent AM Console. Zenith: Transoceanic. RCA: Victor. and on and on and on
    The Avatar? June Foray, voice for Rocket J Squirrel.

+ Reply to Thread