+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Look For In Good Bar Staff?

I'm Martin.

Well yes I'm on it and have done my first shift on my own. Thanks for all your comments.

I do have a gift for customer service and Im being quite chatty. The customers wont get amazing tales to start with but they will get a friendly and appoachable service. Its just a case of asking people want they want as ice and mixers before rushing in to complete the drink...never assume anything.

Im not going to like everybody that walks in there but most people are just fine.

They have really thrown me in the deep end with training but I'm learning all my spirits, beers and liqueurs.

Dissaronno anyone? Loads of videos about the Queens favourite drink of Dubonnet and Gin so Im learning fast.

Most people will be having a pint of Pravha or a wine...there will be awkward customers in the future but as you say the job isn't worth too much hassle so no real worries.

All the best
    Martin

I'm Steve.

You certainly sound more positive about it than last week, it sounds like you've picked up a lot in a few short days. Just think how you'll be in a month's time? Probably like Sam from 'Cheers'. Or Coach.

That's if you haven't given your fellow staff the 'Kirby Kiss' before then!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Glad you seem to be settling in, Martin, and enjoying it!

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Dissaronno anyone? Loads of videos about the Queens favourite drink of Dubonnet and Gin so Im learning fast.
    Ah yes, Amaretto Disaronno. It's an Italian apéritif, or digestif, usually drunk straight as the latter, or with ice as the former. I have some here and often enjoy it. I've also tried Dubonnet and Gin.

Another similar cocktail I often enjoy is a Negroni, which is one part gin, one part red vermouth (Martini), and one part Campari, garnished with orange peel and served with ice - gorgeous!

Also, make sure you know how to do an Aperol Spritz, which is the 'in' drink at the moment, especially in this hot weather: http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/fo...-spritz-recipe

Hope you continue to enjoy your new job

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Shaun.

I really admire bar staff that are aware. The ones who know who is next in line and don't just serve their friends or the ones who have just shoved their way to the front.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Glad you seem to be settling in, Martin, and enjoying it!

Ah yes, Amaretto Disaronno. It's an Italian apéritif, or digestif, usually drunk straight as the latter, or with ice as the former. I have some here and often enjoy it. I've also tried Dubonnet and Gin.

Another similar cocktail I often enjoy is a Negroni, which is one part gin, one part red vermouth (Martini), and one part Campari, garnished with orange peel and served with ice - gorgeous!

Also, make sure you know how to do an Aperol Spritz, which is the 'in' drink at the moment, especially in this hot weather: http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/fo...-spritz-recipe

Hope you continue to enjoy your new job

Marco.
    Amaretto with lemonade tastes strangely like cherries!

Russ

I'm Martin.

Yes the key seems to be asking how they like the drink as some people want it in very specific way...one ice cube, touch of water etc...you can over ice or mix many types of drink...I would say its harder than a pub bar in that way as hotel customers may have higher expectations as they settle in to the place.

If you see the videos ice can lock in the aroma and flavour therfore affecting things positively or negatively

Its amazing how many people ask for recommendations on the whisky...mostly which is cheapest If they dont know the difference between a single malt and a well known blend then its a bit strange really. I would rather they had a preference in mind because Im no expert.

Probably best on the cheapest which is F Grouse etc...the single malt bar starts getting scaringly pricey ........but I am very helpful

I think there is a lot of hype with drinks. I like an occasional brandy and I dont think most people could tell the difference between vs, vsop, xo or xxo but the price tag rockets.

Im doing bigger orders and have to till them in as I go. Merrily drunk people chop change and spin on a dime. They also get a bit beligerent when the shot pourer sticks or something telling me to "push it push it" like I dont know that

Another key point is its clear when not to get involved with the general conversation and just serve. A group were talking about the female Doctor Who which can be a charged subject...best not to get involved. They let me know when they want to talk to me and I just stand there like a wet lettuce sometimes

Best wishes to everyone on the forum
    Martin
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 03-08-2018 at 08:05.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Another key point is its clear when not to get involved with the general conversation and just serve. A group were talking about the female Doctor Who which can be a charged subject...best not to get involved
    More contentious than Brexit!

Glad it is all working out for you.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstral SE
    A group were talking about the female Doctor Who which can be a charged subject...best not to get involved.
    Tell them that's what happens when you try to 'regenerate' more than your alloted 12 times, and speculate that the next Doctor will be 'gender fluid'.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

There are 32 genders now so presumably the next 31 doctors will have to cover the gamut of them to avoid any accusations of prejudice or sexism.

If I was the writer I'd get round the problem by having the next doctor regenerate as a large tomato plant. Will Smith to provide the vocal performance.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Why are there no black or Asian Doctors? No doubt Brexit has scared them all away.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast