+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WAD 300b Custom Clone Power Amp, David Coe built at AD Audio

I'm Adam.

Default WAD 300b Custom Clone Power Amp, David Coe built at AD Audio

WAD 300b Custom Clone Power Amp, David Coe built at AD Audio
    £2,000

Well this is a very, very reluctant sale indeed.
    I bought this beautiful amp from the builder, renowned Valve amp engineer, David Coe from AD Audio.

He built the 300b for himself as the bench mark for all Valve amps going through his workshop.
    So this was his personal amplifier.

When I purchased it, I intended it to see me to the grave... (I had badgered David for a long time to sell it to me) At the time I had some super lovely KUDOS speakers, and quite frankly it was end game.
    Truly magical.

Alas, I then did a bloody ridiculous thing, like you do when you have the system sounding right!.....
    Along came the Vintage Tannoy itch!!!
    The 300b with my Tannoy Monitor Gold speakers has stunningly good Mids and the High frequencies, but sad to say with the Tannoy drivers, the bass was left a tad wanting. So I went out and got myself a Radford. Which, as widely documented on AoS was the perfect partner for the Tannoys.

So that brings me to this point with the WAD 300b custom clone.

This is a unique opportunity to take custody of an Amp Considered by many to be Among the world's best power amps, the WAD 300b has an enviable reputation and has that truly authentic 300b sound along with enough drive for a wide range of speakers.
    This particular example was built as one of a very limited run of just four clones in custom made polished stainless steel chassis.

Point to Point all Silver wiring through out and Components used are of the highest available, Black Gate capacitors for the main power supply, cathode bypass and decoupling duties along with oil filled ASC capacitors and Mundorf Tube Caps. Resistors are Kiwame and Shinkoh.

The amp has been converted to battery bias (new self charging batteries just added) and has had the dissipation reduced to run TJ Meshplate valves.
    It will come with a matched quad of wonderful TJ Meshplate valves.

Compared to the original circuit it also has additional chokes fitted to the input stage for greater dynamics and Image stability. The Sound is utterly exquisite and the amp produces around 25 watts with the TJ Meshplates.
    The amp uses Zero negative feedback.
    The amp also has transformer taps for 4,8, 16 ohms.

The amp is in Tip-Top condition, with only the odd faint swirl of a polish mark if you stare deep enough into the polished Stainless Steel finish. It has very recently been fully checked over and serviced by David Coe.

I can't stress enough how special this Amp is. It was a privilege to own such a thing.

It weighs an absolute Tonne and I will not sell without a demo.
    So I'd really say collection only from Barnet.

It is offered exclusively here on AoS for a limited time.

I will add some further pictures, under the hood etc. later as i'm on my work computer and the pictures are else where.

Under the hood ...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by WESTLOWER; 23-07-2018 at 22:53. Reason: Picture added
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Edward.

No No no! You can't sell this Adam. This is a priceless piece that can't be bettered anywhere remotely near the monies you are looking for.

I've had this amp in my home driving the Kudos which I bought from Adam. We did an amp swap at some point and this 300b simply took my breath away. And the finish of this amp - well honestly it would not look out of place in a high end art gallery.

@Adam, feel free to borrow the Kudos for the demonstration. Really show this amp performing at its best.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adam.

Appreciate your speaker loan offer for the demo Edward.

Unfortunately I have to sell her, I can’t have it not being used, it’s too good for that and
    I need to recover some money. It was not an easy decision to list.
    But thanks for the words.
    Last edited by WESTLOWER; 24-07-2018 at 08:26.

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm David.

I, too, was very reluctant to sell this lovely amp. Apart from being part of a very limited run of 4 (one later being copper plated which ruined the look in my view) it was always the sound that was so seductive. As Adam says, there's only so many amps you can have in a house and the worst of all is an amp of these capabilities not being used and enjoyed.

Apart from that, that Tannoy virus is clearly turning into a major epidemic as I too was recently infected which meant a further change in my amp line up. What starts as a minor itch quickly converts into a raging fever, a racing mind trying to work out what amps are optimal for these speakers. Government Health Officials need to get on top of this serious health risk before we are all chasing the same pool of available Radfords!

I'm Paul.

Lovely work as ever David,and good luck with the sale to the OP,you shouldn't need any though with such a beautiful amp.

Bit OT,but regarding amps for big old Tannoys David,you could do far worse than staying in the WAD design family and cloning a WAD Kit6550.I run my Berkeleys with a heavily upgraded one and they sound superb on the end of it.40Watts or thereabouts of Push/Pull does the business in my book.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    WAD 300b Custom Clone Power Amp, David Coe built at AD Audio
    £2,000

Well this is a very, very reluctant sale indeed.
    I bought this beautiful amp from the builder, renowned Valve amp engineer, David Coe from AD Audio.

He built the 300b for himself as the bench mark for all Valve amps going through his workshop.
    So this was his personal amplifier.

When I purchased it, I intended it to see me to the grave... (I had badgered David for a long time to sell it to me) At the time I had some super lovely KUDOS speakers, and quite frankly it was end game.
    Truly magical.

Alas, I then did a bloody ridiculous thing, like you do when you have the system sounding right!.....
    Along came the Vintage Tannoy itch!!!
    The 300b with my Tannoy Monitor Gold speakers has stunningly good Mids and the High frequencies, but sad to say with the Tannoy drivers, the bass was left a tad wanting. So I went out and got myself a Radford. Which, as widely documented on AoS was the perfect partner for the Tannoys.

So that brings me to this point with the WAD 300b custom clone.

This is a unique opportunity to take custody of an Amp Considered by many to be Among the world's best power amps, the WAD 300b has an enviable reputation and has that truly authentic 300b sound along with enough drive for a wide range of speakers.
    This particular example was built as one of a very limited run of just four clones in custom made polished stainless steel chassis.

Point to Point all Silver wiring through out and Components used are of the highest available, Black Gate capacitors for the main power supply, cathode bypass and decoupling duties along with oil filled ASC capacitors and Mundorf Tube Caps. Resistors are Kiwame and Shinkoh.

The amp has been converted to battery bias (new self charging batteries just added) and has had the dissipation reduced to run TJ Meshplate valves.
    It will come with a matched quad of wonderful TJ Meshplate valves.

Compared to the original circuit it also has additional chokes fitted to the input stage for greater dynamics and Image stability. The Sound is utterly exquisite and the amp produces around 25 watts with the TJ Meshplates.
    The amp uses Zero negative feedback.
    The amp also has transformer taps for 4,8, 16 ohms.

The amp is in Tip-Top condition, with only the odd faint swirl of a polish mark if you stare deep enough into the polished Stainless Steel finish. It has very recently been fully checked over and serviced by David Coe.

I can't stress enough how special this Amp is. It was a privilege to own such a thing.

It weighs an absolute Tonne and I will not sell without a demo.
    So I'd really say collection only from Barnet.

It is offered exclusively here on AoS for a limited time.

I will add some further pictures, under the hood etc. later as i'm on my work computer and the pictures are else where.

Under the hood ...
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Ganders View Post
    Lovely work as ever David, and good luck with the sale to the OP,you shouldn't need any though with such a beautiful amp.
    Thanks Paul.

I do nice coffee and maybe a biscuit or 2 on the Demo.

I'm Adam.

Sweltering Bump for this special Amplifier

The WAD 300b PP interstage is a great design especially if worked on by David who is something of a expert with this design.

I know as I have a very similar designed one which has had similar work done by David. Its sadly not shinny like this one mind but it now has courstey of lordmortlock a set of mesh plate 300b's.

Someone is going to be very happy with this amp.
    Paul.

I'm Adam.

Cheers Paul, you right it’s a fantastic Amplifier.
    Enjoy the meshplates! They are a joy in these amps!

I'm Martin.

WOW! Adam what a fantastic piece of kit
    Even if this sounds only half as good as it looks...........
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast