View Poll Results: Should political discussions be banned on AoS?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

76 48.72%
  • No

80 51.28%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Should political discussions be banned on AoS?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Paul,

Thanks as usual for your input. When you get a chance, as one of our resident 'techies', could you add your thoughts to this thread: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...879#post997879

...specifically in reference to why you think passive and active preamps sound how they do (read the most recent posts). I respect your opinion on these matters

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Technology now outpaces society's ability to develop codes, mores and behaviours. We had a few hundred years to get an accepted convention on table manners but no time to coach the idiot with a mobile phone on a train. But even though the technology changes, we should have the inherent wit and sensitivity to know when a situation needs delicacy, when it's going to escalate and when to let it lie. It's sad if we have to legislate in order to achieve that. I was surprised to find that one of my best friends and I are on opposite sides of the Brexit debate. We had a discussion that began to get passionate but we realised that and went back to talking about stuff that really matters to us (ie beer, music, football). This is just basic common sense and social skill, knowing when / what / how much to talk about and with who. So it's a no from me.

In its own way this is a small example of a bigger issue that the coming years will wrestle with https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44967650 What would we think if, down the line, it was proposed that forums should be regulated ?

Pete

I'm Steve.

I would argue that the learning of table manners over the past few hundred years has only been an issue for about 1% of the population, while the rest of us were more concerned with finding something to put on the table (eeh, I used to dream of having a table) and our manners only extended as far as sharing what we had with our families.

Fully agree with the technology thing though - the changes continue apace while our ability to use it wisely and considerately lags way behind. And the nature of the technology is such that the wrong 'uns can pretty much do as they please with next to no accountability. This needs to be addressed now, and the culprits punished.

That being said, I feel that stifling people's opinions on certain matters smacks of censorship, which I never find agreeable. I would prefer that people could speak freely, but with sanctions against those that would abuse this privilege. You can probably guess that mine was a 'no' vote.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    Technology now outpaces society's ability to develop codes, mores and behaviours. We had a few hundred years to get an accepted convention on table manners but no time to coach the idiot with a mobile phone on a train. But even though the technology changes, we should have the inherent wit and sensitivity to know when a situation needs delicacy, when it's going to escalate and when to let it lie.
    Completely agree, but unfortunately trolls don't have such skills or care about that, only enforcing their disruptive agendas on whatever platform they can get away with it on, and to hell with the consequences, which is why we don't allow it here. Therefore, I'd welcome any new controls imposed upon unacceptable, abusive on-line behaviour, so that those responsible become more accountable for their actions.

Those guilty should be exposed for what they are: inadequate wastes of oxygen, and penalised appropriately for their behaviour, then in future not allowed to hide behind a cowardly cloak of anonymity. The fact is, the behaviour of these people offers no constructive purpose whatsoever, only the opposite, so it should be outlawed.

I was surprised to find that one of my best friends and I are on opposite sides of the Brexit debate. We had a discussion that began to get passionate but we realised that and went back to talking about stuff that really matters to us (ie beer, music, football). This is just basic common sense and social skill, knowing when / what / how much to talk about and with who.
    Indeed, but some folk are so selfish and wrapped up in their own insular little worlds, that they simply can't see, or deliberately have no interest in, how their actions impact on others. It's that lack of consideration and sheer selfishness that I think has escalated in recent times.

Folk these days think they should be free to say or do what they like, without repercussions, as unfortunately they've become too accustomed to getting away with it.

That sort of ignorance/selfishness, and lack of self-awareness, wasn't as prevalent as it is now, during the days when face-to-face communication was more common, as quite simply, these trolls wouldn't say to someone's face the insults that they're only too happy to perpetrate on the Internet - and so I fundamentally believe that some forms of technology, which make it easy to abuse and insult people with impunity, are intrinsically linked to the rise in bad manners and abusive behaviour.

We won't tolerate that here, however, which is why we moderate the forum in line with certain standards of behaviour, and insist on civility - and have no qualms about removing anyone incapable of adhering to it!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Well said.

I've just had a thought: How about a sub-forum that caters exclusively for members who have been banned, where they can give each other what-for. Non-banned members will not have access, but will be free to view the bun-fights. It'd be like a highbrow Jeremy Kyle Show. We could call it 'Banorama'.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

Lol - now that would be funny!

Trouble is, they'd use it simply as an opportunity to moan (on and on, and on some more, like a broken record) about how they were subjected to "BIASED MODERATION", how incorrect their banning was, and how it was all the fault of the owner or mods, or someone else who provoked them, and proceed to hold a grudge about that for eternity, instead of understanding the justified reasons for their bans, and why their behaviour was unacceptable.

The inability of some of the banned fraternity, who supposedly have a life outside of forums [but which they do a great job of disguising], to simply 'dry their eyes and get over it', and get on with whatever else they have to do, never ceases to amaze me!

It smacks of desperate attention seeking and boredom. Quite simply, if they actually had a life, they'd have far more important things to do than sit on a forum and slag people. What they need, apart from a slap and a damn good reality check, is given a greater purpose in life, and something more constructive to do with their spare time, which they clearly have WAY too much of!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Shame really, that they can't even be relied on to be entertaining.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Steve.

The gap is closing!

T'other system:

A/V:

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Shame really, that they can't even be relied on to be entertaining.
    Oh they're that all right, but only along the lines of 'let's laugh at the sad bastards without a life'

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Well said.

I've just had a thought: How about a sub-forum that caters exclusively for members who have been banned, where they can give each other what-for. Non-banned members will not have access, but will be free to view the bun-fights. It'd be like a highbrow Jeremy Kyle Show. We could call it 'Banorama'.
    It already exists under the name 'Snake Oil Audio'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast