View Poll Results: Should political discussions be banned on AoS?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

76 48.72%
  • No

80 51.28%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Should political discussions be banned on AoS?

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The fact is, you find out much more about what makes people 'tick', out with of hi-fi discussions, when talking about real life issues, and that adds to the 'human' aspect of the site and builds the forum community.
    Yes, well put. Unfortunately, I don’t personally feel drawn in by such ‘banter’; in fact rather the opposite.
    Account Deleted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up It's ALL about creating a COMMUNITY...

Well, each to his or her own. You participate in the areas of the forum that interest you, and ignore the bits that don't. As you know, I enjoy your contributions very much on the hi-fi threads

One thing I've learned (among many things) in over 10 years of running this place, along with the mods, is that an on-line forum can only be successful if it has established a community [together with a USP], because *that* is what keeps folks 'tuned in' and coming back for more (to chat with their friends and other like-minded people), not endless, often repetitive, discussions on 'what speakers should I buy?', or whatever.

That's why anyone with intentions of running a successful forum, with longevity, would only ignore the 'human' element at their peril. If a forum contains no such element, and is devoid of diverse and interesting personalities, to chivvy things along, it will almost certainly eventually die.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Looks like I'm safe for now...

Not everyone on this forum will have the money to buy stuff, or the time and skills needed to make/fix stuff, but still love music and the kit they play it on.

My days are spent working with all kinds of people, none of whom have any interest in hifi. My leisure time is spent with people who also have no interest. I suppose this makes me the oddball, not everyone around me. So to be able to view and participate in all kinds of discussions with other oddballs has become a little corner of my life I can't imagine giving up. And that's thanks to the friendly and inclusive nature of AOS.

Long may it continue!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Deleted.

“Each to their own” - indeed.
    Account Deleted

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

It's that lack of consideration and sheer selfishness that I think has escalated in recent times.
    I agree with your view that the anonymity of the internet has made bad behaviour easier and fostered it. I view trolls a little like extremist political actors and just ignore them. But I can see that others might not find that easy.

I’ve always imagined that forum moderation is bit like having a pub landlord, ie someone setting the tone, having a subtle or less subtle word and ultimately barring someone. However I can see that you and the team might have reached a point where it’s time-consuming and frustrating to be keeping peace in the playground on some day-to-day issues (NB - thanks for taking the time to reply).

My 12 year old likes telling me how out of date I am and by implication my knowledge and experience are of less value than hers. I enjoyed studying history and so I like telling her that human behaviour is always the same, just that the technology has changed from time to time, and so I feel I’m well-equipped. But maybe the current revolution is changing all that…

Pete

I'm James.

No to a ban
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

It's very close indeed
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

So how did you vote Bev, that is if you have voted?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

So how did you vote Bev, that is if you have voted?

Marco.

I voted No Marco

I guess it is only a small group on this matter, and probably others, that cannot control themselves and have a discussion without being rude etc...

I'm all for having wide and very varied topics to participate in and if I'm not interested in a particular topic then I just ignore it..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Hi Pete,

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    I agree with your view that the anonymity of the internet has made bad behaviour easier and fostered it. I view trolls a little like extremist political actors and just ignore them. But I can see that others might not find that easy.
    Absolutely. As you say, the best thing you can do is ignore them, which is most often what happens here. We treat them as an insignificance, thus with the contempt they deserve. Being ignored like that is the ultimate weapon to defeat an insatiable attention-seeker, which is what breeds a troll - and trolls HATE being ignored!

They feed off the energy of being given the recognition they so dearly crave, which they're deprived of at home or in work, and where they're downtrodden by their partners or employers, or in some other area of life, where they've continually underachieved. Therefore, robbing them of any recognition, deprives them of the escapism they seek from their feelings of inadequacy and failure.

Continually raging against the world, and anything or anyone who shows them up for what they are, keeps them from focussing on their own miserable existence, but in the process makes them more enemies than friends....Pathetic bastards. And unfortunately that's how they're also destined to die: sad and lonely, with very little to show for their time spent on this earth.

Like I said, they need robbed of their anonymity and forced, by law, to reveal their true identity and geographical location, before being allowed online. Folks with nothing to hide (count me in) would have no qualms about that. It's the secretive and cowardly 'hiders', who cause all the problems, and who need flushed out and exposed.

I’ve always imagined that forum moderation is bit like having a pub landlord, ie someone setting the tone, having a subtle or less subtle word and ultimately barring someone. However I can see that you and the team might have reached a point where it’s time-consuming and frustrating to be keeping peace in the playground on some day-to-day issues (NB - thanks for taking the time to reply).
    A pub landlord has always been the perfect analogy for a forum owner, running an on-line community, such as an Internet forum. Therefore, it's *their* name above the door, they pay the bills, and so ultimately they call the shots and decide who's allowed in and gets 'served' or not, or barred.

Some folks could do with remembering that, and considering how far they'd get in real life, squealing to a pub landlord about being 'unfairly' barred from their premises, for repeatedly aggressive and unacceptable behaviour, and refusing to comply with the 'house rules', then ridiculously demanding to have their bans rescinded from where they're justifiably no longer welcome...

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast