View Poll Results: Should political discussions be banned on AoS?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

76 48.72%
  • No

80 51.28%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Should political discussions be banned on AoS?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Question Should political discussions be banned on AoS?

Guys,

After the recent 'fracas' on the Brexit thread, I had initially made the decision to ban all discussion of political topics in future, simply because history shows here that folks can't be trusted to debate such matters in a calm, polite and rational manner, and so inevitably we end up with a bun fight, between folks with entrenched political positions.

And as someone who has no particular love for politics, let alone games of petulant 'insult tennis', between grown adults who should know better and be able to control themselves, I had thought 'enough is enough'. However, in the cold light of day, as it were, I've decided to let the membership decide on this matter, by taking it to a vote.

However, please note that doing so is under the strict understanding that if the majority of people vote 'No', and political topics are to continue being discussed, that in future anyone guilty of throwing personal insults during debates (by playing the MAN, not the ball, as it were), will be banned for ONE MONTH, without further notice, as I simply won't have that type of behaviour here.

We don't tolerate it on hi-fi threads, so we're not going to tolerate it on political ones either, and mods will be instructed to carry out punitive action on that basis. Therefore, on that strict understanding, please vote accordingly, and/or offer your comments as necessary!

Voting is anonymous, and the poll will run for 14 days, plus if necessary be 'bumped' regularly, in order to allow as many people as possible to cast their votes.

Marco.

PS, to Tapatalk users: the poll won't be showing, you need to be on the actual AoS site to cast your vote.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Deleted.

I would personally vote in favour of banning political discussion - if there was a mechanism by which I could do so.... .
    Account Deleted

What do you mean, daftee, there is a button for you to vote Yes or No!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

If you want to keep members then yes, political threads elsewhere always seem to end up with members being banned

I'm Neil.

I voted no, because this issue is nothing to do with discussing politics, and all to do with people not keeping their cool, and getting personal, when there is a difference of opinion. A simpler way to do it is to have a zero tolerance policy on people throwing personal insults, in which case, I think a 'sin bin' system, banning them for a couple of weeks, would suffice.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    If you want to keep members then yes, political threads elsewhere always seem to end up with members being banned
    And here too, Mike. We had to ban someone yesterday, due to his petulant and totally disrespectful reaction to having the Brexit thread locked, and in particular my comments about "Brexit shite". I make no apologies for being sick to the back teeth of hearing about it at the moment.

The fact is, I'd welcome political discussion/debate here, even though most of it bores me to tears, *if* it can be conducted in an adult manner, and in line with the friendly vibe we promote on AoS. If not, then it simply won't be happening.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Ian.

Politics, religion and sex have no place on a hifi forum - in my humble opinion of course. Politics in particular always seems to end in a bun fight.

I'm Mike.

I never become involved in 'debates' purely because it is sometimes difficult to get across what you mean by typing, whereas speaking face to face things have a totally different meaning.

As far as I'm concerned I joined this site to read about hifi and music, politics I avoid like the plague

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I voted no, because this issue is nothing to do with discussing politics, and all to do with people not keeping their cool, and getting personal, when there is a difference of opinion. A simpler way to do it is to have a zero tolerance policy on people throwing personal insults...
    Absolutely, Neil. Those are exactly my thoughts too, which is also why I also voted 'No'. Contrary to what some may think, I hate banning things unless it is *absolutely* necessary, and maintaining the friendly vibe/smooth running of the forum, in that respect, will always come first.

The 'sin-bin' system will certainly be put into place, should the majority vote to keep political discussion. However, it will be strictly an immediate one-month ban for those guilty of throwing personal insults, as it needs to be taken seriously.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Andrew.

Where’s the yes no button?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast