+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PassLabs x2.5 pre-amp.

I'm Stephen.

Default PassLabs x2.5 pre-amp.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting one of the above to go with my dCS classic stack and gamma active speakers.

I currently have a Pass Aleph P preamp which is great but looking for a little more transparency and detail without being too clinical.

The options (in terms of Pass products), seem to be the X2.5 and the X1. The latter is more expensive and possibly slightly better but would it be worth the addition bunce?

Anyone compared the two? Or know of anyone selling? All comments welcome.

Many thanks.

Steve.

I'm Stephen.

Should read: Adam Tensor Gamma speakers.

I'm gordan.

I had it for a short trial in my system - at that time I had ATC 20A (active). Didn't buy it. Wasn't bad, actually much better than Krell KVA 250p I got my speakers with, but still it wasn't at the level I wanted to achieve. It is enjoyable but actually too polite for my taste. The first serious step up was EAR 864 pre.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    I had it for a short trial in my system - at that time I had ATC 20A (active). Didn't buy it. Wasn't bad, actually much better than Krell KVA 250p I got my speakers with, but still it wasn't at the level I wanted to achieve. It is enjoyable but actually too polite for my taste. The first serious step up was EAR 864 pre.

That surprises me. Having tried several valve preamps over the years I've generally found them to be slightly lacking in detail, a little background noisy and erring toward the softer side of neutral. The airiness in the mid range is a big plus point but I'm currently looking for something as neutral as possible, (if there is such a thing).

I'm gordan.

dunno, maybe my standards are a bit high. krell preamp had a resolution but not a tone, PL was more neutral but not overtly exciting, EAR not as colored as many valve amps. if it helps, i settled on passive (TVC/AVC) but it depends if it's suitable for your system. i had many of these (first audio, promitheus, slagle, DIY) - it can't get more neutral than that, it's just wire in the end.
    Gordan.
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    dunno, maybe my standards are a bit high. krell preamp had a resolution but not a tone, PL was more neutral but not overtly exciting, EAR not as colored as many valve amps. if it helps, i settled on passive (TVC/AVC) but it depends if it's suitable for your system. i had many of these (first audio, promitheus, slagle, DIY) - it can't get more neutral than that, it's just wire in the end.
    Yes, I know what you mean re a pre being suitable (or suited), to a system. I used to use a passive with a quad power amp but it just sounded a bit lifeless, however an inexpensive active model quickly livened things up no end.

I am generally very happy with the Aleph P which goes very well with my high quality active speakers but I hear that the x series (generally 2.5 and above) are an improvement but with the same characteristics ie tone, presentation etc. Just wondered if any one had first hand experience of a comparison?

I'm Timothy.

I owned an X1, used it with a Pass X150 into Magnepans. A Wadia 302 was main source. I never did compare it to an Aleph P though, but did with an X2.5. Yes the X1 was “better” overall, but not by what the difference in cost between the two was in my opinion. Not much help really. I do love most of Pass designs, in my system above, I felt it all to be slightly bland however, just not enough “color”-shock, horror! Like most things, all depends on what a person favors or puts priority on sound wise.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    I owned an X1, used it with a Pass X150 into Magnepans. A Wadia 302 was main source. I never did compare it to an Aleph P though, but did with an X2.5. Yes the X1 was “better” overall, but not by what the difference in cost between the two was in my opinion. Not much help really. I do love most of Pass designs, in my system above, I felt it all to be slightly bland however, just not enough “color”-shock, horror! Like most things, all depends on what a person favors or puts priority on sound wise.
    That's very interesting as I was also considering an X1, although they don't seem to come up often on the used market. Not cheap either!

What were the main perceivable differences between the X1 and the 2.5?

I'm gordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    I felt it all to be slightly bland however, just not enough “color”-shock, horror.
    I guess this is what I desperately wanted to say
    Gordan.

I'm Timothy.

Spook-The 2.5 was even more bland! Hah, kidding, really the X1 was a bit more detailed, maybe a bit more tone and body to it, but again, they are so very close at least to my own ears in that system.

I really like Pass gear, and I have a lot of respect for Nelson as a designer and person, but they just didn’t do it for me in my system context. I do think some of it was just the mix of components, Wadia being a very “matter of fact” type of presentation, and Maggie’s can have a bit of blandness as well. Just my own thoughts, and it has been about 12 or so years since....
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast