+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum cleaners an antidote to Brexit.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Mothers in Lilac Frocks
    Standard party at yours, then?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I now use a Miele vacuum cleaner. Quiet, powerful and efficient - and not expensive. Only disadvantage is the dust bags are a bit pricy. Best vacuum cleaner i've ever had, though a friend speaks well of VAX. Wouldn't touch a Dyson: over-priced, over-hyped and not that reliable.

Before that I used a couple of upright Hoovers, did the job but the dust bags would often split with unfortunate results.
    Barry

I'm Simon.

I picked up a Miele C3 earlier this year and it's definitely the best hoover I've had. I've got 2 cats and it gives the carpet a good deep cleaning. I didn't find it to be too pricey either, it was under £200 and my old Vax was still around £150 and it packed in after 2 years.

The bags last ages too. I hoover the whole house once a week and a bag will last a good 6-8 weeks. It has stayed clean too, the Vax I had was bagless and it got so dirty all over.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    . Wouldn't touch a Dyson: over-priced, over-hyped and not that reliable.
    I keep hearing this, and it puzzles me. I’m on my second Dyson and I wouldn’t buy anything else. Note, the first was only replaced as I had a typical hi-fi geek ‘need upgrade’ moment when faced with a half-price DC14!

We have two cats, one long haired who moults everywhere, and I have eczema - the Dyson is the only thing I’ve ever used that properly picks his fur up. In fact it has so much suction it’s actually a struggle to move it on our long pile bedroom carpet!

Never had any major problems, although I will admit the upholstery attachments can be a bit fragile - the old machine got through 3 during our ownership but the newer machine is still on its original after 5 years, so they seem to have improved the design.

I clean the filter once every few months and usually change the belt annually and it just works. They get a big thumbs-up from me.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Martin.

I'm on my second Dyson in 20 years, only got rid of the first one as it sucked up a ball of string and broke. There's nowt wrong with them. Miele may be better, I don't know, never had a go on one of those.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inactive.

We've had 3 Dysons .. best vacuum cleaners by far as function goes - but incredibly decrepit manufacturing quality.

The latest one is only 2 years old and already on its second roller head (warranty repairs are very good to be fair)

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Standard party at yours, then?

Marco.
    Aye, I've lots of lilac frocks . . .
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I keep hearing this, and it puzzles me. I’m on my second Dyson and I wouldn’t buy anything else. Note, the first was only replaced as I had a typical hi-fi geek ‘need upgrade’ moment when faced with a half-price DC14!

We have two cats, one long haired who moults everywhere, and I have eczema - the Dyson is the only thing I’ve ever used that properly picks his fur up. In fact it has so much suction it’s actually a struggle to move it on our long pile bedroom carpet!

Never had any major problems, although I will admit the upholstery attachments can be a bit fragile - the old machine got through 3 during our ownership but the newer machine is still on its original after 5 years, so they seem to have improved the design.

I clean the filter once every few months and usually change the belt annually and it just works. They get a big thumbs-up from me.
    The same applies with my Miele - to use it on carpets, the head has to be set with the bristles retracted, the lowest speed selected and even then the air bleed control has to be open, otherwise the 'suction' is so strong you would have great difficulty in vacuuming carpets.

Another thing I like about the Miele is, for all its undoubted power and suction, it is very quiet - so quiet that you can happily listen to the hi-fi whilst vacuuming; whereas my old upright Hoovers were extremely noisy.

The Miele cost me less than £140, and it was made in Germany - I don't think you could pick up a Dyson machine for the same price, even though they are now made in China.
    Barry

I'm Mark.

My missus bought a (expensive) Dyson in preference to the (cute) Henry I wanted. I find that when I target a bit of fluff the stupid thing blows it sideways out of my line of attack! Absolut nonsensical machine!

I'm Ian.

I've had one of those orange Vax hoover/washer things for years, massive suction and as a bonus if used with care is very good at drying freshly washed records. The only problem I have is due to my advancing decrepitude it is a bit of a lump to pull around. With that in mind I bought a Dyson Absolute cordless and it is brilliant, not quite the power of the Vax but enough for a good clean and very well balanced so easy to push around. It has two power settings and will go for around 25 minutes on the standard setting but will drain a fully charged battery in less than 10 if the boost setting is used. I did have a G-tech air ram but wasn't impressed and sold it on fairly quickly.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast