+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Getting my Lenco back into the Fold!

I'm Andre.

How does it sound against the 'orbe'? I guess the bass is improvement on the '75'

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    How does it sound against the 'orbe'? I guess the bass is improvement on the '75'
    Just listening to Brand X on the Lenco now and with the 103M, very impressed - seems to be pulling out so much detail.
    Regards comparing to the Orbe. I have found that some artists seem to work better on the Orbe than the 75 - 75 is better with more simplistic tracks (with the 103M cart now) while the Orbe seems to work really well with more complex works.

Although, the Orbe is having an upgrade in a few weeks so will see what happens then.

More than welcome to pop round for a comparison.
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Andre.

Ive never had or heard an 'Orbe' but i have had ever other TT they made & everyone i have had the same issue with Bass. I sold my last 'Michell' because of a Modded Lenco 'L70' I bought.. Gave it all up these days & just bought a cheap Vintage Jap deck.. Was all doing my head in, i was even imagining things

I'm Andy.

The Orbe does bass (had a Gyro before and no issues with bass)
    Like anything in hifi, depends on the partnering equipment and your room.
    The 2 best things I bought over the last few years are the Reiver Jenna speakers and the Pure Sound A30 amp - seem to work so well in my room.
    Used Lenco 75's for the last 20 plus years and used Michell TT's for the last 35 (first TT I bought was the Mycro in '85 - can't believe how much these go for now!) so have warmed to the sound that both manufacture's can produce.

Nothing wrong with cheap vintage jap stuff as in the day they seemed to know what they were doing
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.

I'm Andre.

I had a 'Focus One' for 35 years, Always kept it for some reason, Even won me best AOS Turntable award a few years back

I think i kept it for so long because it was my first proper turntable but i have to say out of all the Michells ive had i totally loved the 'Syncro Mk.1'

Fantastic Engineering & design but it was nothing to do with partnering as i have had tons of different gear throughout my Michell buying Saga..

Re: Jap gear, They made the best Hi-Fi in the world imho.. Im trying to get back into using a British amp but it just is totally not working for me, Im afraid im gonna have to switch back to my vintage Sony amp..
    Last edited by Made in 1968; 08-03-2020 at 00:52.

I'm Andy.

Too many beers and totally knackered (my birthday yesterday) - first TT was the Syncro (MK1) not the Mycro. DOH

Yep, some of the Jap stuff was great, seemed to fade in the 80's, 90's then started to creep back again.
    First proper amp was my Audiolab 8000A, bought new in 85 (still have it now) - sounded so good and right.
    You can borrow it if you want and see what you think (volume pot needs some servisol or something as a tad noisy before it warms up)
    Brother had a Luxman integrated amp when I was growing up in the 70's and that was lush from what I can remember.
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.

I'm Andre.

Ive got an Audiolab '8000a' a very early brown one but some of the RCA chassis sockets are knackered, seemed to be a common issue. Ill get around to sorting them one day. My first proper amp was A&R Cambridge 'A60' Kept that for around as long as the 'Focus One' TT. A lot of Jap amps are lush but not as bad as some Brit amps. This Arcam amp i just bought is way too much for me although it does sound like to my old 'A60'.. Be ok in the spare room i guess.

I'm Andy.

Just listening to Blancmange, Happy Families.
    Very simple with its arrangements and percussion and sounds epic at the moment.
    Will finish this album then off to bed.

Don't have a spare room so all my unused gear is in the garage - such a shame
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.

I'm Andy.

Bought a 12 inch wooden tonearm from a chap on the LencoHeaven forum to try on the Lenco.

Yesterday spent an hour in the garage knocking up a plywood holder for the arm and a perspex holder for the connectors (both scraps)
    Using my 3d printer created a tube and base so that it can be at the right height for the Lenco.
    OK, the tube and base were part of a 3d printed vice so the cylinder has a thread on it so I can use this to alter the height in small increments

A few pictures of the end result sans cartridge.

I started to mount the cart (a A&R P77) but can only find 1 2.5mm bolt long enough (have loads of them but too short) so will have to source some and will be unable to try it out yet

Cheers
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.

I'm Grant.

looks pretty snazzy
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast