+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting my Lenco back into the Fold!

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I have just done the very same with my GL 75. A fantastic improvement, even the boss agrees.
    Much more solidity and weight to the sound, particularly the lower registers. Thanks Don, t'was a great buy
    By crumbs it's good!
    Nice one Alan, looks ruddy good....
    that natural wood look does help prevent divorce proceedings!

I'm Winston.

Default Platter-stacking Lenco?

Could be beneficial to experiment with other platters.

Just a thought.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by curry49 View Post

Just a thought.
    Such as?
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Andrew.

The '75 bearing and platter are perfectly balanced for each other. You will get a bigger bang for your buck experimenting with platter mats and even damping rings.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Winston.

Default Platter-Stackers' report!

gninnam
    Quote Originally Posted by curry49 View Post

Just a thought.

Such as?

----------------------
    There are very many options - the sky's the limit. I'm currently experimenting with a thorens platter, with good results. But I'm also considerig trials with a Techie platter or slate, and anything I can get my hands on. Not sure if a platter from a Gyro or Orbe could be tried without destroying it, but that could also be interesting.

However, to further illustrate my point, I'll simply paste a segment from a piece published elsewhere. Kinda lenghty, though.

Hope this is helpful:

Regarding my stacked-platter experiment, there also seems now to be added advantages in noticeably increased dynamism, and in detail-retrieval, and also in definition/separation of notes, among other gains. Others make similar claims, while some claim not to reap any benefits.

One or two have posited that perhaps the results with stacked platters depend on how good or bad the unit was at the outset, with the more dramatic results showing up on the more ‘challenged’ units - like mine. All are not equal, apparently – and whichever second-platter is used apparently also has a bearing on the resulting sound. For instance, one user remarked, “…I now have a slate double platter and I must say it is fantastic.The lenco double platter was good but the slate is more dynamic with all the lenco goodness; great bass, midrange to die for, and good treble also…” https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/in...?topic=20356.0

Despite some who reaped no benefits, it seems many who’ve tried stacked-platters are tickled pink with the results. Another user is so happy with the benefits that he stacks an expensive ($1200) VPI ‘Super-Platter’ and claims a “huge” improvement over the single Lenco platter and even over stacking another Lenco platter. https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/in...p?topic=7871.0

He could be right, and this (i.e. whichever platter is used, plus other factors) might partially explain why some get slight results, while others get dramatic results, and why some don’t get any results at all, as perhaps the properties of the second platter matter greatly. I also believe it might be more beneficial to use something other than a second stacked Lenco platter so as to avoid the same resonances. Nevertheless, it seems arguable that this mod alone (for those who get it to work) is worth more than all the other popular mods put together. I’ve certainly never heard of any claims for any other mod even remotely close to the magnitude of the claims made for this one (by those who get it to work optimally). Moreover, I can now attest to the veracity of some of these claims.

I’d also go so far as to advise any new Lenco user to experiment with various combinations of (stacked) platters and mats until the maximum benefits are reaped – the results are absolutely worth the effort, potentially lifting a Lenco to seriously higher levels of performance.
    Main system: Lenco L75, Thorens TD-125, Technics SL1700, ReVox A77 two-track 15 ips, Sony PS-1, Dell laptop, mxr, eq, Audio-Research LS-3, UREI 6150, DIY two-way speakers with Altec 802/811 & Goodmans 18” midwoofers.
    Author of; “HIGH-END AUDIO on a BUDGET”

I'm Andy.

Spent the last few weeks building a plexiglass bending contraption as I thought my Lenco TT needed a nice hood.
    Today I created the first part but I need a new jigsaw as mine had trouble cutting straight but as a first attempt it should be OK.

Next task will be to make the sides but not until I get a new jigsaw!
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.

I'm Andy.

New cart added to the Lenco tonight:

It's a Denon 103M (thanks Rexton) and just had time to listen to a couple of sides of an album - first impressions are the amount of detail produced which seemed very good.

Need some new bolts as one only just connects to the nut and the other is not a good looker (domed head) so that will be on the list next

Will update the thread once I have had chance to listen to more tracks!
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.

I'm Andrew.

Glad to see the old beast on the lenco I still use a shure m55e
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andre.

You can fold Acrylic Easy enough if you have an old electric fire element.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    You can fold Acrylic Easy enough if you have an old electric fire element.
    OK
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.