+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Solid state preamp grain compared to valves

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The Promitheus TVC I use has some of the 'character' Marco mentions, But not the MingDa. They sound very different, so I don't think general characteristics can be attributed to all TVC's.
    Definitely not. As I said, you can only comment on what you've heard so far. I've heard about four different types of TVC, and they've all shared that character, to a greater or lesser degree, and it's not something I want, or need, in my system.

The MingDa sounds interesting, though

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    All transformer pre amps sound tubby, all passives lack drive, valve pre amps don't have any grain, solid state do etc etc.

It's worse than 'What Hi*Fi'.
    Lol - an interesting précis, which I guess could be garnered by simply skim-reading the thread!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    if you want a good listen to grain my advice is buy a lentek head amp
    Lol - I'm surprised you say that, as I thought you liked them! The grain is only in stock form (it's a signature of the Tants). That goes away when they've been re-capped, and they do work well with a DL-103

Marco.
    Main System

I'm jamie.

sorry i should have been more clearer,yes they are not bad sounding until you compare one with a ha-500 then the standard lentek's grain shows itself.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Agreed

Marco.
    Main System

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    You like what you like, end of really. What I’ve found is that any active pre isn’t really transparent, they all add a little something to the sound. The Slagle AVC I had was better to my ears than any active pre I’ve tried in my system previously, however I’ve sold that as I got hold of a set of Tribute AVC’s which Anthony of BTE Desgns is putting in a nice box for me. I’m hoping these will be even better.
    interesting. I think i heard your Slagle AVC which prompted me to buy one butI found it performed even better when used at the front end of my Satchmo preamps instead of a stepped ladder attenuator

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Visit here first Phil, I accept the challenge
    you are on ollie , took a V2 classic to a friend with a big room and big speakers , he was using a vol controlled dac into power amps which were pretty powerful . it was an ok`ish sound but a bit irritating , the person and his musician friend were rather stunned when i put the v2 in . the soundstage widened and the windows began to reverberate . they bought one from a dealer a few days later
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

Bigman80 Guest

Well no big room here but ok sized speakers for the room. It will be very interested to see what happens. Top stuff, I'll await the details!!!

I'm Shaun.

The one that sticks in my mind the clearest of all was the Creek passive that I owned around 2004/5. I used it alongside my WAD KLP1 which was far superior in terms of sound with the Creek being very flat and lifeless. All of the dynamic excitement had just gone from the music but unfortunately I cannot remember the power amp I was using.

I'm Martin.

It's rare that you see anyone who heard that Creek passive saying they liked it. Except Hi-Fi World for a while.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast