+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Solid state preamp grain compared to valves

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes looking forward to hearing it. Tribute are amongst the best audio transformer makers on the planet.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Yes looking forward to hearing it. Tribute are amongst the best audio transformer makers on the planet.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hope they sound awful, as Tribute are no longer supplying the DIY market, so none of us can procure them now.

Nah only joking! - will read your findings with interest. Are they a two winding design or an autoformer design?
    Last edited by Barry; 03-08-2018 at 13:48. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    We are very good at picking up phase errors. Speakers have by far more of an influence on this though e.g. port / crossover phase shift, group delay etc.
    Very true in my opinion. I'm sure I'm sensitive to that. I don't tend to like multi driver speakers and much prefer dual concentrics or full range drivers, probably for this reason. Mind you, even single driver speakers have phase anomalies.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It is without question some form of distortion. In the case of CD with an active pre-amp you are taking a signal, amplifying it and then attenuating it again before passing it to the power amp. That's sub-optimal compared to simply attenuating the signal from the cd player, it seems to me?
    Sounds like a gain issue with the higher input of cd
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Overload margins of equipment is certainly worth considering' as to the cause of a certain type of nastiness experienced with some systems.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    We are very good at picking up phase errors. Speakers have by far more of an influence on this though e.g. port / crossover phase shift, group delay etc.

I would rather have excellent phase and time domain performance than a flat frequency response, any day.
    In my recent DSP experiments/playground this is precisely what I found. I was shocked how much difference a tiny bit of time correction can make versus say changing crossover points or even having overlapping (due to operator error) freq ranges.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hope they sound awful, as Tribute are no longer suppling the DIY market, so none of us can procure them now.

Nah only joking! - will read your findings with interest. Are they a two winding design or an autoformer design?
    Lol cheers Barry. They are an autoformer design, from what I’ve read built to a higher spec than the Slagles.

Ant, of BTE designs is putting it in a chassis for me, he’s tried it out in his system and he now wants a pair!

Should be able to buy these from Tribute, I believe it’s only bespoke diy transformer designs he’s no longer producing. Don’t know what the cost is new, but I’d imagine not cheap.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Lol cheers Barry. They are an autoformer design, from what I’ve read built to a higher spec than the Slagles.

Ant, of BTE designs is putting it in a chassis for me, he’s tried it out in his system and he now wants a pair!

Should be able to buy these from Tribute, I believe it’s only bespoke diy transformer designs he’s no longer producing. Don’t know what the cost is new, but I’d imagine not cheap.
    That's good to know. No, they won't be cheap - transformer design is becoming a lost art and winding them with care is a time-consuming business.

Despite the acknowledged simplicity and elegance of a resistive attenuator, I've always admired a TVC as the change in output impedance is more benign. And an autoformer can confer some advantages over a two coil design.

Again, I'll be be reading your findings with interest.
    Barry

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I will post up my impressions when I’ve given it a good listen.

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast