+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tonearm Rewiring " which are the brands are most rated "

I'm John.

Default Tonearm Rewiring " which are the brands are most rated "

I've gotten the cable bug, It all started with a few interconnects, then came the speaker cables, spent big "for a miser" on one pair.
    Here we go again, this is not a task I will attempt, but I want to become familiar with some of the brands out there.
    At the moment many roads lead back to the name Kondo, I have worked out there has been two Kondo brands available via different producers.
    I know my SME iv has Silver wires, but maybe they are just the Tags ?
    Its been a long time since we met, I unboxed it tonight for the first time since 2004ish. I still had the supplied cartridge grid alignment too stored in a separate package, how I recalled this, is real elephant like
    As the Title says, any thoughts on my choices will absorbed, investigated and maybe never forgotten

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Have a look at Audio Origami, I had my 774 rewired with Ikeda silver. Was a big improvement to my ears. Pricy though.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm John.

Thank you Ali, it would seem Silver "extortionate Priced" brands, are the go to ones, if a lucid, open, uncoloured,presentation are sought.
    I Would very much enjoy sharing some time around the Modwright Phono again.
    I have just down loaded from Analogue Planet four files replaying the same track, the only variation in the replays being the Kondo, Cardas Silk, Monocrystal, Copper CU rewires in the tonearm.
    I have not got a quality digital replay, so my observations will be very flawed.
    I'm sure there is a individual, who could download and offer their thoughts on any differences heard.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

A lot of people swear by Cardas copper too, and it’s a lot cheaper. :-)

Yes, wish I could spend some time with the Modwright too, unfortunately all my gear is in storage.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    Thank you Ali, it would seem Silver "extortionate Priced" brands, are the go to ones, if a lucid, open, uncoloured,presentation are sought.
    I Would very much enjoy sharing some time around the Modwright Phono again.
    I have just down loaded from Analogue Planet four files replaying the same track, the only variation in the replays being the Kondo, Cardas Silk, Monocrystal, Copper CU rewires in the tonearm.
    I have not got a quality digital replay, so my observations will be very flawed.
    I'm sure there is a individual, who could download and offer their thoughts on any differences heard.
    John,

I have a couple of silver wired tonearms and got rid of the stuff. I know some people swear by it but I just felt I preferred copper.

The PMAT-1010 you heard at the bake off is wired with Kabusa Superflex copper wire. Angus Uses this as standard due to it quality.

I've had this stuff in three arms now and it's by far my favourite. I have tried Cardas too, it's no where near as flexible as the Superflex. The Superflex offers incredibly little resistance to the arms movement.

Great stuff

I'm Dan.

Having re-wired dozens of SME tonearms (including IV's and V's), the best way to go is a continuous length from cartridge clip to RCA plug using Cardas shielded tonearm wire.
    Silver wire is just to bright and is stupid expensive (at least the good stuff). The advantage of the continuous run is the lack of extra connections making greater integrity of the delicate signal.
    The disadvantage, of course, is you can't swap cables.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I don’t find the Ikeda wire bright, I know some silver leads can be though.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Neil.

Default Tonearm Rewiring " which are the brands are most rated "

LFD do a range of SME tonearm leads, indeed SME use an LFD phono stage in their music room.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm John.

I'm glad to hear there is a division born from experiences, in the
    Copper vs Silver Tonearm rewiring field.
    I have the option at present to do what might be referred to as a "Unfair" trial of a Copper vs Silver comparison, 1990's SME IV with what might be original wiring, with the additional terminations in the signal path, 'vs'
    Latest Model Audiomods Series V Micrometer, with Silver wiring.
    I do intend on trialing these at a later date, when the SME, is brought into the up to date philosophy on a rewire.
    This might be a few too many coffee's moment, is it not possible to run two different rewire cables into one tonearm for the purpose of assessing the best synergy with a system ?
    Would I be wrong in thinking a continuous wire through to RCA plugs could experience the inclusion of further Phonocable experimentation, if a small box was put in line with compatible IN/OUT Connectors.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    I'm glad to hear there is a division born from experiences, in the
    Copper vs Silver Tonearm rewiring field.
    I have the option at present to do what might be referred to as a "Unfair" trial of a Copper vs Silver comparison, 1990's SME IV with what might be original wiring, with the additional terminations in the signal path, 'vs'
    Latest Model Audiomods Series V Micrometer, with Silver wiring.
    I do intend on trialing these at a later date, when the SME, is brought into the up to date philosophy on a rewire.
    This might be a few too many coffee's moment, is it not possible to run two different rewire cables into one tonearm for the purpose of assessing the best synergy with a system ?
    Would I be wrong in thinking a continuous wire through to RCA plugs could experience the inclusion of further Phonocable experimentation, if a small box was put in line with compatible IN/OUT Connectors.
    John,

I don't believe there is any benefit to running the Wire from Cartridge tags to RCAs.

There's a thought that loss occurs by every joint in the signal path but in reality, an usual one or two between the tags and RCAs is unlikely to cause any degradation that wouldn't incur when the signal passes through the entirety of your system.

The biggest factor in my opinion is to ensure the connections are as good as possible.

There are a few DIN to RCA socket type devices that may help but they are very expensive £300ish for less than a foot of wire.

If it were me, and once it was, start with the cheapest option first and see where that takes you. Drop some Kabusa Superflex in and if you like it, Silver wire it and job done. If you don't like it, you only lose £20 worth of wire.

I've done this silver v copper wire test in arms and copper was always my preferred choice. Silver is very tricky to do well which is why the good stuff is so expensive. Or the fact its got a good rep is the reason, I should say.

+ Reply to Thread