+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Snake Oil Machine

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Vampire poo,
    Vampire poo, I love it Tony

I'm joe.

It's this sort of thing that gives over-priced shite a bad name.

I'm Tony.

Again this all boils down to does it work for you YES or NO, if you have tried it and you like then buy it (what ever it is), if you have tried and feel it doesn't work then send it back no obligation simple.

I have many friends (I you find that hard to believe ) that spend equal sums of money on what we may consider daft purchases, one good buddy is a real keen fisherman and couple of years ago he spent £5000 on a roach pole but his is perfectly comfortable with his purchase and no his not on some high powered six figure salary. A wife, smallish mortgage and zero brats His priorities lie elsewhere.

Another good friend is potty about road racing (push bikes) and thinks nothing of spending £700+ on the latest Titanium super saddle stem etc

On the flip side a very good friend lives a few doors away, after a messy divorce he got away with just the house a crappy LP12, a well used Nait 2 and an ok pair of Linn Kans

A few years done the line I rebuilt the LP12, improved the Nait2 and refreshed the Kan's not an expensive system but it plays music well, he would not dream of spending more than threepence hap-nee on anything audio, yet he drives a very nice three year old AMG

You pays your money and makes your choice where that is a pair of Raurk Broadswords or Wilson Grand Slamm's we all have our own interests it is a personal thing nothing more.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Again this all boils down to does it work for you YES or NO, if you have tried it and you like then buy it (what ever it is), if you have tried and feel it doesn't work then send it back no obligation simple.

I have many friends (I you find that hard to believe ) that spend equal sums of money on what we may consider daft purchases, one good buddy is a real keen fisherman and couple of years ago he spent £5000 on a roach pole but his is perfectly comfortable with his purchase and no his not on some high powered six figure salary. A wife, smallish mortgage and zero brats His priorities lie elsewhere.

Another good friend is potty about road racing (push bikes) and thinks nothing of spending £700+ on the latest Titanium super saddle stem etc

On the flip side a very good friend lives a few doors away, after a messy divorce he got away with just the house a crappy LP12, a well used Nait 2 and an ok pair of Linn Kans

A few years done the line I rebuilt the LP12, improved the Nait2 and refreshed the Kan's not an expensive system but it plays music well, he would not dream of spending more than threepence hap-nee on anything audio, yet he drives a very nice three year old AMG

You pays your money and makes your choice where that is a pair of Raurk Broadswords or Wilson Grand Slamm's we all have our own interests it is a personal thing nothing more.
    At least the £5K roach pole actually does something whereas this product - and many others - are just aimed at people who have not yet figured out that your mind can play tricks on you. They'd be better off spending the money on a psychology text book.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Deleted.

There is an earth lift switch on my sub-woofer and you can clearly hear the difference between the two positions - it’s very easy and quick to demonstrate. Neither position results in any hum through the speakers, my system is very well behaved in that regard, but you can hear a subjective effect on apparent clarity and dynamic.
    Account Deleted

I'm openingabottleofwine.

My phonostage has an earth 'lift', which introduces a 10 Ohm resistor between the signal ground and the case metal work. I instinctively set it to the 'lift' position, but since to alter the setting means delving inside the amplifier I haven't done an A/B comparison.

Ground loops do not automatically guarantee hum: the amount of induced noise depends on the effective area of the loop. When one uses a three terminal Decca cartridge, which has a single signal return terminal, one has to choose what to do with the second signal return in the pickup arm. One can either ignore it, which can cause a hum problem (it did in my setup), or one can connect the two returns together which will create a loop. But because the two returns run parallel to one another and are very close together the area of the loop is very small and there isn't a problem (it wasn't in my system).

If the cable under discussion is run parallel and very close to the mains cable, then the susceptibility to hum pick up could be very low; low enough not to be audible. But to do that the mains socket into which it is plugged has to be as close to the socket into which the mains powered item is plugged as possible. Or it may have a 10 - 100 Ohm series resistor hiding under the 'bulge' in the webbing.
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Correct. This is a classic way to create an earth loop. Of course, many modern amps and sources aren't earthed at all and adding an earth connection somewhere in such a system won't create an earth loop - but in other systems there's a distinct possibility that it will.

I agree. The "you haven't tried it so you can't comment" attitude is basically just a defence of (or excuse for) scientific ignorance.
    Pretty common response in threads such as these, a pretty typical one from your type.

At this point I am going to bow out before I say something I will regret, that lets me down personally and AoS.
    Regards Neil

I'm Hugo.

I thought that ‘science’ was supposed to be all about things that are known, and being open-minded and inquisistive about things that are not yet fully understood, or indeed known. That comes across a bit ‘Donald Rumsfeld’ but if science and scientists never moved forward, we would still be talking about phlogiston, rather than quantum physics which most definitely challenges most accepted wisdoms, yet already has real world uses and applications.

So, when some people hear things that cannot be explained with ohm’s law and Joseph Fourier, maybe these people are correct and entrenched ‘scientific’ dogma is not. Real science comes with curiosity and humility, so I’m with Neil on this one.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Pretty common response in threads such as these, a pretty typical one from your type.

At this point I am going to bow out before I say something I will regret, that lets me down personally and AoS.
    A phrase such as that Neil, isn't helping your argument.

Are there no items or accessories which you think are absurd and would not give them the time of day? What about the ideas of the late Peter Belt - many of them were cheap to implement, if not free, despite being regarded by many as absurd.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    " People don't just try things at random in the hope that the fundamental building blocks of their engineering discipline are all wrong and in fact, for example, icing sugar is a great material for building a suspension bridge.

I'm sorry but unless you have tried building a bridge out of icing sugar then you have absolutely no right to comment. All that previous life experience and all that book learning you did is completely worthless.

Only immediate I priori experiences are acceptable proof of anything since they are completely and 100% reliable at all times and in all situations even if there are absolutely no controls whatsoever.

my neighbour reckons that if he attaches some cardboard wings to his arms he can jump off his roof and soar majestically like an eagle. When I suggested that all scientific research to date indicates that he will plummet to his death he advised me that as I have not personally tried flying with cardboard wings I am in no position to comment.

His funeral is next Friday.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast