+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radford System

I'm David.

Default Radford System

I spotted this nice little system on Stereonet Aus. Radford STA25 monoblocks and studio monitors previously owned by a BBC engineer along with the Radford pre.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I wonder what source the ex-BBC engineer used? Probably a Garrard 301 or 401 with an SME, or maybe a Decca arm and cartridge. Whatever, it would have been 'state of the art' in the mid to late '60s.

I would love to find a pair of Radford monoblocks, either MA15 or MA25 to replace my STA15/III. I'm a bit of a fan of monoblock amplifiers (I have four pairs).
    Barry

I'm John.

Bit of thread resurrection here, but just spotted these super rare Radford monoblock amps on Ebay, are these MA-25s?

Speakers look substantial too!

Seller has zero feedback but photos look genuine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radford-Amplifiers-and-speakers/393240513833?hash=item5b8ef60d29:gO4AAOSwJKpgbt2b

Speakers look like they might be some of these

http://ukhhsoc.torrens.org/makers/Ra...p73/Page1.jpeg

Amps look similar to these https://www.flickr.com/photos/rvhifi...n/photostream/

Definitely different layout from normal Radford amps with valves inside cages. Maybe designed for studio use?
    Last edited by JohnJo; 17-04-2021 at 08:32.

The Radford MA25 monoblock amplifier looks like this

The MA15 looks similar, but uses a GZ34 rectifier valve, located behind the two EL34s on the side valve tray.

The amplifiers in the ebay advert, are versions which I have not seen before, namely having the protective cage covering the valves, as was used in the professional 100W amp Radford made.

It is possible that these are customised MA25 amplifiers made for the professional market (and they are the 25w version, as there is no rectifier valve). It would be helpful to be able to see the connections to confirm; also the mounting of the valve sockets directly onto the PCB is unusual.
    Barry

I'm John.

It would appear that these are Radford IMA15 (as they use EL34) from the Reference range, have a look at these two threads below. I’m guessing there aren’t too many pairs of these around, super rare!

https://theaudiostandard.net/thread/...rd-electronics

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...Amp-quot/page3

I'm John.

I'm Martyn.

Underrated speakers, Radfords.
    I bought and repaired a pair of their ‘Bookshelf’ * models.

A special lightweight Kef B139 and a Celestion HF1300, with a complicated crossover.
    Afromosia cabinets ( about an inch thick ! ) with plywood baffles and back panels.

The sound quality was unexpected, to say the least.

* You would need big/strong bookshelves !

I'm Edward.

Very tempting I have to say. I agree the Radford speakers very underrated. I had a pair of Monitor M.90 speakers, wonderful coherent sound. Currently have a pair of M180 (semi omnidirectional) which for their age and size throws up a surprisingly nice soundstage with instruments well placed.

The speakers the Glasgow seller has are either the Auditorium A.90 or the Studio S.90. The A.90 was 91cm high whilst the S.90 was 115cm high.

Driving them with monos must be pretty decent.

But what is the guy's source? Looks like a piano.

Has anyone ever come across either the Radford S.360 or Radford ISO.360 speakers? Love to have a listen to one of those.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    But what is the guy's source? Looks like a piano
    The preamp’s set to tuner, but maybe that’s for tuning the piano

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post

Agreed - they do look like the Radford IMA15 or IMA25 (models I should have known about, having co-written the article on Radford in AoS's 'The Knowledge'). Without seeing the circuit schematic, I can't tell if the the IMA15 used solid state rectification (whereas the MA15 used valve rectification).
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast