+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buggered bolt

I'm James.

Default Buggered bolt

Hello, a bolt on my bike luggage rack has become well and truly stuck,the Allen head recess has rounded off and the outer edge is smooth so no chance of grip, so I'll have to drill it out. I'm guessing it a stainless steel bolt but I'm not 100%, what type of drill bit do I need.? Also should I get a drill bit 1 or 2 mms smaller than the thread of the bolt? I have done this before but it was ages ago,cheers Jim
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Steve.

Hi James, your thread title really piqued my interest, turns out it has nothing to do with you abusing a certain world-class Olympic sprinter.

It's a long time since I've had to deal with this sort of thing, but I seem to remember buying a tool which you screw into the end of the bolt after drilling into the back of it first, then you clamp some mole grips onto the tool and it brings out the bolt with it. It may have been called a stud extractor, was about the size of a nail punch and it didn't cost much.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm inactive.

Depending on the size of the head (and whether you have a steady hand) might be worth trying to hacksaw a groove across the diameter and then use a screwdriver. Have done this before with some success. My experience with drilling out bolts is that I usually swear a lot and bugger up the existing screw thread either way.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Depending on the size of the head (and whether you have a steady hand) might be worth trying to hacksaw a groove across the diameter and then use a screwdriver. Have done this before with some success. My experience with drilling out bolts is that I usually swear a lot and bugger up the existing screw thread either way.
    and gripping tightly a sturdy screwdriver in the newly-made groove, and twisting it anticlockwise while hitting the top of the screwdriver can also help.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Hi James, your thread title really piqued my interest, turns out it has nothing to do with you abusing a certain world-class Olympic sprinter.

It's a long time since I've had to deal with this sort of thing, but I seem to remember buying a tool which you screw into the end of the bolt after drilling into the back of it first, then you clamp some mole grips onto the tool and it brings out the bolt with it. It may have been called a stud extractor, was about the size of a nail punch and it didn't cost much.
    Good one, I recall something like that now you've said cheers
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Cheers Mike, unfortunately access to the bolt makes that impossible

I'm Ian.

I think this is the tool that Steve was talking about.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Screw-E...UAAOSwCcZaLtyf
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Anto.

Screw extractors are ok if you think the threads nice and loose but snap them off and its a world of hurt because then you have a hardened piece that you defo cannot drill out .
    Any chance you could mig a nut onto the existing rounded off allen head ?
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Kevin.

If buying screw extractors, get decent ones because if you have one snap, you have a bigger problem.
    If drilling stainless, I would suggest cobalt drills, use a slow drill speed and cutting lubricant.

You can't get a set of mole grips on the head?

Try soaking the bolt with a decent dismantling lubricant, like plus gas for a few days. Then try the mole grips.
    Another way of getting the bolt out is to hammer a torx bit into the allen bolt, but I don't like doing this. It damages the tools.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Screw extractors can be useful, but can also snap off in the hole drilled for them, leaving you with an even bigger problem.

If you can't cut a slot for a screwdriver, I'd drill it out. Mark the spot to drill as centrally as possible with a dot punch, then drill with a small drill going to successively larger sizes. Once you've drilled wide enough, the remains of the bolt thread will probably fall apart and can be cleared out leaving the female thread hopefully intact. Don't drill too big a hole or you'll take the whole thread out and have to drill larger and tap a thread in.

I've done this loads of times. I used to rebuild cars and bikes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast