+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Phono Cables and Short Speaker Cables or Vice Versa.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    General principle is to keep leads carrying high current as short as possible
    Hmm. That presents a problem. I'm some distance from the nearest electricity power station.

I'm Sandro.

The Klotz MC5000 is superb
    and I am using 1 meter long supremus from amp to speaker
    Yes don't one love those 100mt long gig cables, after the gig thy are quite often covered in Vomit...

I'm Sandro.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hmm. That presents a problem. I'm some distance from the nearest electricity power station.
    well move house
    At one time GF was complaining that possible new next door neighbours had a "do not enter danger of death" sticker on garage door I managed to explain that it was the sub station and that electricity was going to be cheaper as it was so close, not true, but she fell for it.
    that was the best sounding mains ever

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    T.
    The real unforeseen appears to be how a Passive Pre Amp will drive a I'c
    over a 6 metre distance. I would assume it would be placed as close to the turntable as possible next to the Phonostage. As I not aware of Phonostages being encouraged to use long I'cs.
    Out of curiosity how does a CD Player, or DAC function driving long IC's.
    As I said this is a subject, I can't recall discussing in the past.
    If you are using a passive pre then I'd say you are better off with short interconnects and long speaker cable. Depends on a number of factors I know but you could lose a bit of drive.

A CD player or DAC should have no problems driving any length of interconnect.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If you are using a passive pre then I'd say you are better off with short interconnects and long speaker cable. Depends on a number of factors I know but you could lose a bit of drive.
    I reckon so.

A buffer stage after the passive could help.

I'm Neil.

Default Long Phono Cables and Short Speaker Cables or Vice Versa.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    Thank you for your replies.

I am of the thought, "Van Damme Clear Sheathing" is well liked by the affordable cable supporters.
    Yep, I would use the Van Damme UP-LCOFC speaker cable. 4mm will be fine for your needs.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

Default Long Phono Cables and Short Speaker Cables or Vice Versa.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I reckon so.

A buffer stage after the passive could help.
    Indeed. A passive needs all the dynamics and slam it can get, and long output interconnects / higher source output impedance can suck this out.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    General principle is to keep leads carrying high current as short as possible, so short speaker cables.

If you are using an unbalanced pre O/P into a balanced I/P that is fine, but not the other way round.
    Not necessarily true - I have run my Levinson preamp (which has a true dual-differential balanced output) into the unbalanced input of various Quad amplifiers quite successfully on several occasions. However some sources, such as preamps, having balanced outputs don't like having the 'cold' side of the output shorted to earth; which is probably why you thought it was not good to run balanced sources into unbalanced loads.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12