+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Maximising sound quality from USB

I'm Kevin.

I have replaced the Microserver with a PC running Windows 10.
    I need to check the USB output against the Halide Design SPDIF bridge that Jerry has lent me.
    The next step is an Asus Essence sound card to see if that improves things even more. If it does not, it is going back and I will try a more modern SPDIF converter.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Edward.

Looking forward to hearing about the various combinations you will be trying out ...

Do also consider locking down your Windows 10 machine to reduce background stuff (e.g. Services and Start Up in System Config tool, Privacy Repairer etc).
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I have replaced the Microserver with a PC running Windows 10.
    I need to check the USB output against the Halide Design SPDIF bridge that Jerry has lent me.
    The next step is an Asus Essence sound card to see if that improves things even more. If it does not, it is going back and I will try a more modern SPDIF converter.
    Make sure you are using WASAPI with the Halide Bridge.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Kevin.

WASAPI or ASIO?

I am struggling to find out how to do that with Logitech Media Server and soft squeeze
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

If you click on the speaker at bottom right and go into players. It should have options
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    WASAPI or ASIO?

I am struggling to find out how to do that with Logitech Media Server and soft squeeze
    It's got me wondering too

If it were me I'd scratch the LMS installation, install Foobar, and hook up the Halide Bridge with the appropriate ASIO or WASAPI driver.
    Then I'd install the remote access app in Foobar, and control things that way.

I am a longtime Squeezebox user, and I'm a great fan of LMS, but in this circumstance it's not appropriate.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

Foobar needs a fair bit of addons put in but it's not especially difficult to do. It's pretty sparse looking tho.
    Jriver isn't especially expensive and is very good out of the tin and can be played with
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

I have an Asus Xonar Essence sound card arriving tomorrow.
    I will have a play with that before I go Foobar, unless it goes fubar tomorrow.
    It will be interesting to see how the Asus compares to the Caiman SEG, and if there is anything gained using the SPDIF directly into the SEG. If nothing is gained, it goes back....

Then I will try a Singxer F1,and if I can a Digione player before making a decision.

The key thing for me is being able to drive the PC using a smartphone or tablet, as well as good sound quality.
    If this works well, I am going to try and build a fanless PC to minimise noise etc.
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

Jriver works well with an iPad if you have one comes with server too. I can play from pc to various other points in house like iPad or other pc or my pi all from the iPad. Don't know how good the android ap is now but the iOS is stable and fast
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Jriver works well with an iPad if you have one comes with server too. I can play from pc to various other points in house like iPad or other pc or my pi all from the iPad. Don't know how good the android ap is now but the iOS is stable and fast
    Another recommendation for Jriver from me.... I wish I had dived in years ago, it's a great application
    lossless > Raspberry PI-3b+ > allo Boss > Van Damme Purple interconnect >
    Myryad Z210 CD Player > Chord Chameleon Silver+ interconnect >

into Magnum IA170 amplifier > Van Damme Blue 4mm cable > Mission 752 Freedom Floorstanders
    Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-back

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast