+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Maximising sound quality from USB

I'm Kevin.

I have just installed my Asus Xonar Essence STX II sound card. Using the analogue out direct to my pre-amp I am struggling to tell a big difference between this and my external DAC set up.
    Further listening is required, but the DAC on the sound card seems very good. There is a big price difference between the two set-ups for just the "HiFi" part.

The PC I am using is one I had lying around and is an old Intel Core Duo E8400, on an Asus P5K motherboard fitted with 4GB of RAM. It still has a couple of fans that I am thinking of getting rid of if I can.
    The external DAC is a CAIMAN SEG with MCRU linear Power Supply and the Halide Design SPDIF bridge.

There is a small difference between the two, but I can change the op amps on the sound card to tweak the sound for the better.
    It is really making me think about getting rid of the external DAC set up.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Neil.

Default Maximising sound quality from USB

That sound card is no slouch, and it won’t even have burned in yet. A better PSU in your PC may also help, but some opamp rolling will make an audible difference, and not always for the better.

However, you really need to be using ASIO or WASAPI, as mentioned, to get the most out of your Halide Bridge. What operating system are you using?
    Last edited by Yomanze; 09-08-2018 at 17:05.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Jriver works well with an iPad if you have one comes with server too. I can play from pc to various other points in house like iPad or other pc or my pi all from the iPad. Don't know how good the android ap is now but the iOS is stable and fast
    Rock solid and fast - both within the local LAN and externally via port forwarding.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    That sound card is no slouch, and it won’t even have burned in yet. A better PSU in your PC may also help, but some opamp rolling will make an audible difference, and not always for the better.

However, you really need to be using ASIO or WASAPI, as mentioned, to get the most out of your Halide Bridge. What operating system are you using?
    Windows 10 64 bit, with ASIO installed and running with the card.
    There really is very little between the two to my ears.
    Kevin

I'm Tony.

DO you guys really think that the DSD are better or it simply the music you want to listen to is on this format curious?
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Kevin.

I think it is more convenient.
    Kevin

I'm Tony.

In what way Cagey, not a loaded question really interested in why people feel dsd is a light they need to have on their dac?

Not sure if you are aware that to mix DSD it has to be re-sampled to PCM to achieve then re-sampled to 2.8s or 5.6Mhz
    Coherent Systems

I'm Kevin.

In the way that ASIO was installed automatically when I fitted the sound card.
    Kevin

I'm Tony.

Cagey

I was only mentioning the process that DSD has to go through to be mixed in the studio that was all.

DSD is different rather than better than PCM, same for MQA which is a solution to a problem that does not exist imho
    Coherent Systems

I'm Kevin.

My card gives me the choice of playing PCM as well.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast