+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Maximising sound quality from USB

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    That sound card is no slouch, and it won’t even have burned in yet. A better PSU in your PC may also help, but some opamp rolling will make an audible difference, and not always for the better.

However, you really need to be using ASIO or WASAPI, as mentioned, to get the most out of your Halide Bridge. What operating system are you using?
    I have started to look at better PSUs, and potentially a new MOBO to allow me to fit Burson OpAmps.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Neil.

Default Maximising sound quality from USB

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I have started to look at better PSUs, and potentially a new MOBO to allow me to fit Burson OpAmps.
    Super Flower Leadex Gold 750 is a stunner. However, I strongly suspect looking into this more, that it won’t make a big difference to your card. It appears to reject the incoming PSU noise, evidenced by its extremely good 124db SNR.

I would personally try the opamp rolling first, but not discrete ones, as they are just opamps with longer signal paths, lower component matching, flavour, and higher price. I would try some TI / Burr Brown OPA2228P.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 10-08-2018 at 15:48.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Kevin.

I was thinking of noise in the rest of the system.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Super Flower Leadex Gold 750 is a stunner. However, I strongly suspect looking into this more, that it won’t make a big difference to your card. It appears to reject the incoming PSU noise, evidenced by its extremely good 124db SNR.

I would personally try the opamp rolling first, but not discrete ones, as they are just opamps with longer signal paths, lower component matching, flavour, and higher price. I would try some TI / Burr Brown OPA2228P.
    I have ordered the opamps you have recommend.
    I have also been looking at a PSU - the EVGA Supernova 750 G3 looks good as well, and is available locally. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory6&reid=500

If I am correct, it is made by Super Flower, so is pretty much the same as the PSU you have recommended.
    Last edited by CageyH; 15-08-2018 at 06:49.
    Kevin

I'm Neil.

Default Maximising sound quality from USB

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I have ordered the opamps you have recommend.
    I have also been looking at a PSU - the EVGA Supernova 750 G3 looks good as well, and is available locally. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory6&reid=500

If I am correct, it is made by Super Flower, so is pretty much the same as the PSU you have recommended.
    Not only does it look like a Super Flower to me, the review does mention that they are indeed the OEM. They are the best VFM / high performance PSUs out there. I use one in a system that draws less than 30W, so the fan never spins up.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Kevin.

I have come to the decision that I cannot hear a noticeable difference between the external DAC and internal DAC in my PC.
    As I am not back from holiday, I am going to give the Halide Bridge a good listen against the Asus soundcard and see if there is a difference.
    I am also going to try the DAC on my CD player to see if it improves things. If not the Caiman II and Modified Caiman SEG and linear PSU will be up for sale very soon.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

A minor update.
    An extended listen shows that the external DAC with Halide Bridge is slightly better. This setup gives better realism to strings and percussion more than the internal DAC. It is making me wonder if I should sell the SEG, or investigate other DACs to see if I can find one I love better.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

After a few disappointing eBay purchases where the wrong items have turned up, I finally have a set of Burr Brown OPA2228Ps on the way. Feedback will be posted once they arrive.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

Rather than mess around with opamps, I have gone for what are reported to be the best opamps for the card - The Burson Audio V6 Vivid.
    A set are on route to me now, and I will post my thoughts when they arrive and I have installed them.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

Three shiny new Burson V6 Vivid dual op amps have arrived.
    I will install these at the weekend to see what is what. They are supposed to be pretty good.
    I may post up details of how they fit to the sound card if it is of any interest to anybody here?
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast