+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit unconventional but sounds good to these ears ................... :)

I'm Martin.

Built to last in those days. I've still never heard one.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

They certainly were Martin.

Shame you're not nearer, you could have borrowed it.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Geoff.

The Denon PMA-850 has raised many an eyebrow at my bakeoffs, seeing off a lot of high end kit, as it did my own. It is a class act.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    Thanks Alan, it sounds spot on to these ears.

The Denon ? Yes, an amazing thing, absolutely amazing. I never believed the hype, but it has seen off many amps, some costing many times it's price, and now looks like it will be doing the same to my Pass F5.

Madness !
    It is but I remember reading a review that mocked the over engineering of the power amp stage in the Denon. They were saying there was simply no need for the effort that was made! I laughed at the reviewer rather than the engineering.

Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    It is but I remember reading a review that mocked the over engineering of the power amp stage in the Denon. They were saying there was simply no need for the effort that was made! I laughed at the reviewer rather than the engineering.

The thing is, I am equally impressed with the phono stage, MM and, unusually for any sanely priced integrated that I have heard, MC too !

I'm Geoff.

Someone I know uses it as a phono stage only in a high end system. He daren't try it against his amps though!

I'm Mike.

Absolutely love this combo. SP-10 now sold 😀

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If you preferred the G99 combo over the SP10, that is an interesting and significant commendation for the Goldring. I assume it is the use of the G99 with the Techno arm that has swayed you.

Over the years I have had a couple of G99s in my system, both fitted with SME 3009s, but good as they were they didn't replace my Thorens 124/IIs.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

The G99 and G88 are very nice. I've owned both and preferred them to the Garrard 401 I had.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If you preferred the G99 combo over the SP10, that is an interesting and significant commendation for the Goldring. I assume it is the use of the G99 with the Techno arm that has swayed you.

Over the years I have had a couple of G99s in my system, both fitted with SME 3009s, but good as they were they didn't replace my Thorens 124/IIs.
    I do prefer the G99 combo Baz and it was the Technoarm that swung it. I preferred the SP-10 to the G99 with the OL Silver.

The SP-10 is a superb deck, no doubt, and a total joy to use but the quality of bass and harmonics reproduction / tonality just gave the G99 the edge. The SP-10 speed stability, timing, frequency even handedness (transparency) are legendary and quite rightly so but, the G99 is a bit more foot tapping and emotionally involving. Yes, it is a touch coloured / mid forward but it seems to bring the music alive.

I also prefer the G99 to the 401 I had. At about half the price of the 401 and less than that of the SP-10, the G99 is something of a bargain.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast