+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garrard 401 misbehaving - speeded up sounds like 45 at 33 setting - anyone seen this?

montesquieu Guest

Default Garrard 401 misbehaving - speeded up sounds like 45 at 33 setting - anyone seen this?

My Garrard 401 has suddenly started misbehaving, it's speeded up so that 33 sounds more like 45.

The speed trim control does alter the speed, but it's nowhere near proper speed.

Anyone seen this in a Garrard? I probably won't be able to fix it myself but would be useful to have an idea what's wrong with it.

I'm Paul.

I suspect that either it has somehow become wired for 115v due to a short or that the motor pulley wheel is not engaging into the correct position. Not sure if the motor has dual 115v/230v wiring, but you just need to look underneath to check. To check the pulley wheel just take the platter off and change speed settings. You should see the pulley wheel rise and fall somthat the different size diameters contact the rubber of the idler wheel.
    ~Paul~

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I suspect that either it has somehow become wired for 115v due to a short or that the motor pulley wheel is not engaging into the correct position. Not sure if the motor has dual 115v/230v wiring, but you just need to look underneath to check. To check the pulley wheel just take the platter off and change speed settings. You should see the pulley wheel rise and fall somthat the different size diameters contact the rubber of the idler wheel.
    Thanks - I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Could be that the idler is partly engaging with the 45 rpm part of the stepped wheel. Just a guess - I have no recent and direct experience with 301/401s.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some good advice for you.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Ah - I see Paul has offered the same advice!
    Barry

I'm Alan.

Remove the platter and check the tightness of the bolts holding the motor up to the top plate, if the motor sags it can effect the position of the speed pulley
    Then check the tiny grub screws on the speed pulley and the magnetic speed brake disk, if these have moved out of vertical position it effects the speed
    With platter off press play and check how the idler wheel lines up with the speed pulley as Geoff says it could be just out of alignment, check it at each speed

Whilst you are there clean the inside of the rim of the platter up to a bright polished finish and degrease with isopropanol
    Clean the idler wheel rubber , I use my R2R pinch roller cleaner.
    Oil the main bearing and a single spot of oil in the idler wheel bearing
    Check the mechanical linkage that changes the speed is lubricated with grease

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Adam.

Default Garrard 401 misbehaving - speeded up sounds like 45 at 33 setting - anyone seen this?

It’ll be something mechanical - most likely the positioning of the idler as mentioned.

As the motor is synchronous, doubling the voyage to it will not make it run faster - it’ll just go up in smoke!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Alan.

Couple of pics

garrard idler wheel shot by Alan Towell, on Flickr

garrard speed cam by Alan Towell, on Flickr

There are 3 rubber gromets that can also disintegrate and can upset the alignment in the photo above you can see them, one is bellow the word "and" in the black text, they are available on line
    http://www.peakhifi.co.uk/cgi-bin/ec...cts&db_scid=31

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

montesquieu Guest

Thanks for the input guys. I rolled my sleeves up after lunch to have a good look at this only to fix it in a few seconds.

Last time I moved it it seemed I didn't unwind the transport screws far enough ... when I looked the pulley was just very slightly too high so at the 33 setting it was running right on the lip of 45 ... releasing allowed the pulley to rise fractionally and drop in to the 33 position.

However it probably is time for a service, all I did when I got it was do the thrust pad/gasket/oil and lubricate a few linkages, it probably needs more attention so the above is really useful.

I've always been cautious of going near the rubber on either the Garrard or the Thorens, what's the R2R roller cleaner and what does it do?

I'm Alan.

The best thing to do is remove the transport frame altogether and shuv it in the draw

Its not easy to get hold of the R2R rubber cleaner now but Platen clean & Martin Yale is good and is designed to clean the rollers in printers

Alchohol can harden or soften the rubber to goo so best not used if you have nothing else use soap and water

https://www.atmmarketplace.com/compa...-and-restorer/
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Martin-Ya...YAAOSw8RZaZPUO
    Alan

+ Reply to Thread