+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is Going On With Online News These Days?

I'm Paul.

Default What Is Going On With Online News These Days?

After seeing headlines this week that Florida will be underwater soon, but no matter, the blood moon next month will bring about the end of the world anyway, I saw this:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird...bility-US-Navy

Really, how desperate do these news agencies need to be that they are reporting a conspiracy theory from 1943 but using a headline that suggests it has just happened recently.

Click-bait in the extreme or what?

I had little respect for the news media anyway, but this has just completely sunk my opinion of them.
    ~Paul~

I'm Geoff.

And what's this nonsense about nobody knowing the new penalties for using a mobile phone when driving? All the online news media have been banging on about it all week. Why the heck would I and most sensible people need to know. The majority don't use one driving and know that a penalty is attached and that's all we need to know.

Oh. And why has nobody seen Nibiru yet. That's another piece of crap of course! And so is all the 'Flat Earth' garbage. Just 'cos the world is full of idiots, is no excuse for using this rubbish as news.

I'm Dominic.

Has anyone looked at the Daily Mail online recently?

The standard of journalism has been utter crap for a long time now, with copy and paste of american news complete with spelling and grammar errors in abundance, photos with the wrong captions, but now it is riddled with pop up and drop down advertising, videos constantly playing all over the place and as you get further down the main page and click on an article you want to read, when you return the the main page it jumps up and down reloading all over the shop, which drives me insane. The more you try and control it the worse it gets so I quickly give up.

If any of the royals passes wind there are endless articles about that and the paper's total obsession with "celebrity" is also very tiresome now. I really don't want to know about some overpaid talentless bimbo "flaunting her enviable figure" in a skimpy bikini on some beach which I don't care where in the world it is.

I look at online papers to waste time while I slowly wake up in the morning more than any desire to catch up with any "news". After reading it I am no wiser to be honest.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Martin.

I've got a book about the Philadelphia Experiment. It's a very interesting read.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    Has anyone looked at the Daily Mail online recently?
    Do I look like an idiot?

I'm Paul.

I read the Daily Mail once and immediately become paranoid that my neighbour, who secretly was an immigrant, was going to kick down my front door, kill my family and rape my dog.
    ~Paul~

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I read the Daily Mail once and immediately become paranoid that my neighbour, who secretly was an immigrant, was going to kick down my front door, kill my family and rape my dog.
    I only ever read the Daily Mail if I'm over at my mother's house. I don't know if I've just been unlucky but I've never seen any articles like that in it. Aside from a couple of pages of news it is more like a women's magazine. Celebs, fashion, dieting, all that crap.

Sometimes there is an opinion piece about something vaguely controversial but it's generally a case of tl/dr for me with them.

Sorry if I've spoiled anyone's left-wing fantasies.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Russell.

Celebrity news in the US is insane! Any C rated star that utters anything slightly political is front page news! Like anyone cares what they think anyway?

Russell

I'm Martin.

Loads of people care which is why news media of any type is wall to wall with it.

The cart always gets put before the horse. People do not want to read complete shit because newspapers print it, newspapers print complete shit because people want to read it.

If you have a newspaper or a tv news station or an internet news site you have only one objective - to increase circulation/viewers. You don't do that by publishing content hardly anyone is interested in.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm joe.

Another factor is that fewer staff are employed, so a) no-one 'fact-checks' any more and b) the few staff just trawl the web for 'interesting' stories about celebs/conspiracy theories and put them on their own company's website, even if the story has already been debunked. At least internet news is 'free'; imagine forking out whatever the Mail/Express/Mirror/Sun costs these days to read the same sort of recycled garbage in print form. (Though AIUI, no-one under the age of 30 or so buys newspapers any more).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast