+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye cigs?

I'm Russell.

I love cabbage, or collards, pretty much any kind of greens, as long as they are cooked with a large piece of pork side meat! That is the trick to good greens.

Russell

I'm Steve.

As with everything. If you start with crap ingredients, the meal is doomed, no matter how handy you are in the kitchen.

I've just got back from a carvery meal, and I'd say it's the best I've ever had. And all the ingredients seemed to be of a high quality, at least for an uneducated oik like me. There were so many different things to choose from, and I chose ALL of them. Honestly the plate was piled so high you could ski down it in the winter.

Now I'm back home, with the laptop resting comfortably on my greatly enlarged belly. Too full for a dessert, so I'll give it an hour then go seek out some ice cream.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Did someone mention horse manure?

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Steve.

Probably very tasty, but the presentation could be better.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    As with everything. If you start with crap ingredients, the meal is doomed, no matter how handy you are in the kitchen.
    Generally that's true, although good cooks can also make the best out of mediocre ingredients, simply by knowing how to 'cheer them up'/maximise the flavour

A good example is bog-standard (battery farmed) supermarket chicken, which on its own, tastes of cardboard, but cooked well, with a nice sauce/gravy, to lift the blandness, and/or the judicious use of herbs and spices, said 'chicken' is transformed into something that's approaching edible!

I've just got back from a carvery meal, and I'd say it's the best I've ever had. And all the ingredients seemed to be of a high quality, at least for an uneducated oik like me. There were so many different things to choose from, and I chose ALL of them. Honestly the plate was piled so high you could ski down it in the winter.
    Lol... Now you see that's a personal bugbear of mine! Firstly, greedy-guts, I hope you ate it all, and didn't waste any because 'your eyes were bigger than your stomach' (as my mum used to say)

Secondly, I *really* hate plates piled up high with food, so that everything is all crammed together in one big 'homogenised mess'.

I just think it looks bad [as I'm someone who values nice presentation, otherwise I can find food distinctly unappetising], plus it makes you feel obliged to finish it all, which is the easiest way to eat more than you need, and end up a porker....

With a carvery, I prefer to start off with small amounts of food on my plate, which I know I'll eat, then go back for more, once that's finished, and repeat the process until I'm sated. After all, rationing isn't in place, and the next lot of grub will be both fresher and warmer than the food mountain that's growing cold on your plate!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Leaving some food uneaten on my plate? Really? We haven't met have we? I NEVER leave anything, and always know what I can and cannot manage. I come from a time when food wasn't wasted, and I never do. One of the worst sounds to me is the sound of food being scraped into a bin. Winds me up.

I certainly piled it high, but it didn't turn into a mass of crap, any more than the Sagrada Familia is a pile of rocks. And In any case I'm not too worried about how photogenic my meal is. It's only 24 hours from toilet, for God's sake (I could hear Gene Pitney singing that last bit). I have always had a good appetite, and don't need my food to look pretty to tempt me.

And if I cared what others thought of my "foodus operandi" I'd be more concerned about being "that greedy pig who's going back yet again for more - maybe he doesn't get fed at home"

So there! Now where's that ice cream?

T'other system:

A/V:

Just shows how we're different! Glad you don't waste food, as it makes my blood boil, especially the fat bastards who pile their plates up high, then leave half of it, which often happens at carveries, with the desserts, (as they've usually stuffed themselves to the gunnels by then)!

I'd make the greedy fuckers pay for their wastage!!

Anyway, I bet when you have folks round for lunch or dinner, you bring out plates of food to the table, already filled with what you've 'guessed' is going to be enough for them, or what they'd have picked (say, veg-wise) from the selection offered, rather than supplying them with empty plates, and a some bowls filled with whatever food is being served, so that they can help themselves?

The former is a very British thing, and the latter is the continental way

I really hate folk trying to predict what I'm going to eat! Biggest bugbear? My plate piled up high with potatoes, as Brits are obsessed with them (I don't take many, preferring veg instead), and then feeling obliged to eat them all, so as not to offend.....!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ian.

Being a chap blessed with an " ample physic " as Alan Shaw of Harbeth fame once called me I rather enjoy the extreme looks of panic on the faces of restaurant staff in the eat all you can style establishments when I walk in. In actual fact I have quite a small appetite and only eat modest meals just twice a day ( this down to my faulty metabolism ).
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    Being a chap blessed with an " ample physic " as Alan Shaw of Harbeth fame once called me I rather enjoy the extreme looks of panic on the faces of restaurant staff in the eat all you can style establishments when I walk in.
    Ha - love it, Ian!

Btw, did you tell AS he was a cheeky bastard?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ha - love it, Ian!

Btw, did you tell AS he was a cheeky bastard?

Marco.
    Alan comes across as a very thoughtful and considered type but I have seen his desk upended and the thick black lines from his expensive Mercedes tyres when he is feeling miffed. As I was just a humble employee I felt it best not to provoke him into a paddy.
    He was very interested in my bass rig from my band days, that was until he lifted the twin 15" Electrovoice cab and put his back out, oh how we laughed.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast