+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new turntable, Holbo air-bearing system.

I'm Timothy.

Russel, I have seen the Sota-or one of them that is like you say, uses a vacuum pump on the platter to hold the vinyl firmly down. Gee, that seems ages ago. A lot of owners of air bearing arms/tables, do typically place the pumps in a remote location. This pump that I have is very quiet, good thing as I do not have the ability to easily run my tubing any great distance, or "hide" the pump away.

You are welcome anytime if you are out this way!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    Russel, I have seen the Sota-or one of them that is like you say, uses a vacuum pump on the platter to hold the vinyl firmly down. Gee, that seems ages ago. A lot of owners of air bearing arms/tables, do typically place the pumps in a remote location. This pump that I have is very quiet, good thing as I do not have the ability to easily run my tubing any great distance, or "hide" the pump away.

You are welcome anytime if you are out this way!
    Now that you mention it, it’s been a while since I saw this Sota, that was back in the late 1980’s! I would imagine that newer pumps could be much quieter these days?

Russell

I'm Timothy.

Making slow progress(?), cartridge mounted, but still need to get the proper location to get things all setup and alingned. Also haven’t gotten my phono stage yet either. Work kicking my ass for time as well...eventually will get there, maybe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    Making slow progress(?), cartridge mounted, but still need to get the proper location to get things all setup and alingned. Also haven’t gotten my phono stage yet either. Work kicking my ass for time as well...eventually will get there, maybe.
    That is a NICE ‘table! Most impressive.

Russell

I'm Timothy.

Thanks Russell, once work lets up a bit, I might actually get a chance to hear just how good it is!

I'm Timothy.

A9AE66CC-297B-4126-9ED3-A4C5E4F107F8.jpg7FB01CFF-5C45-4365-A8AA-A334518D62D7.jpgC7EBA67F-6ED6-4C18-B6B6-246DB984C3D3.jpg8D833663-FD1E-4431-BFBB-A63119FD3B37.jpg

A little more work done on the Holbo turntable setup. More leveling and arm setup to come. Air pump barely visible on lower shelf, very quiet! I am still waiting on my phono stage too. I will probably be getting a nice cover and mini light too. More to come....work in progress!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hmm. An air bearing arm is not that rare, but a platter air bearing is. I wonder how is starts up without metal to metal contact? Even more interesting!
    It's a belt drive TT with the platter supported on an air bearing. Hence the air pump has to be active before the TT is started. http://www.holbo.si/
    Barry

I'm Simon.

Much loved at rmaf with Tron kit this week.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Timothy.

Hi Simon, yes I have been meaning to do a search on that from RMAF, see what was said about the system. From talking with Jeff of High Water Sound, Holbo US distributor a couple of weeks ago, he mentioned the system he was going to demo at the show, and also said he just received his MC Tron Convergence phono stage, and already he was thrilled with it. This stage interests me a lot too, will see what US pricing will be on it.

I'm Nari.

I have heard and owned quite a few airbearing turntables and many air bearing tonearms. I have owned an early walker and a mappanol also a forsell and the versa dynamic my current turntable has an air bearing I have heard the rockports and the Vyger extensively, I have owned a rockport series 6000 and airtangent tonearms. The air bearing turntables always seem to have a uniquely grainless sound obviously they are all different and platters and plinths etc and motor drives vary but I always here a sense of freedom. The tonearms can sound magical not always the best in the bass department but the midrange can be fantastic will no mechanical signature. I find they take alot of messing around with effective mass adding mass etc and some have better bass than others the rockports show that it is possible to develope a turntable that does it all sadly may not be done again. The Rockport series 6000 was no where as good as the airtangent in the bass dept. One thing for sure the magical midrange and freedom always flows I remember fondly my Forsell years with its truly captivating midrange and sense of freedom that was simply captivating. The only thing with my forsell was the condensation problems I had and just the constant faffing around. The Halbo looks promising and has some nice ingredients.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast