+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: YouTube Premium music streaming service

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I have noticed Spotify, TIDAL, YT etc all seem to have very similar content for the bands I like, so access to the content of any artist that is missing can't be made up by switching services.

I think that's deliberate.

Bummer.
    Curious - it's not that way for classical. There's quite a difference between what's available between Qobuz and Spotify, with Spot having quite a lot that Qobuz doesn't and Qobuz having a little that Spot doesn't.
    From a fairly brief look, I find that Qobuz and Tidal have very similar, maybe identical classical catalogues.

I'm gone.

Not that anyone seems much interested, but for the record ....

I've been watching some YT music vids (Best of Slade [my guilty secret ] and Grigory Sokilov playing piano music by Armenian composer Komitas) and results are very strange.
    I've listened to them both via the YouTube Music streaming service and also the old fashioned way, going direct to the YouTube website.

And they sound very, very different! What the hell is going on?

Via YT Music streaming, the Slade sound quality is full toned with weighty bass, via the old YouTube website it is scrawny with no real oomph behind it at all.
    But the sq of the Komitas is the other way around - much better direct from the YT website and pretty poor from the streaming service.

How weird is that?

I'm Martin.

That's one of the problem with streaming. You lose all control over the provenance of what you're listening to.

Have they re-mastered, up-sampled, down-sampled, run it through some sort of EQ algorithm? You just don't know.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

I suppose so.
    But for most classical recordings that doesn't seem to be an issue. I did a whole load of AB comparisons between CD and streamed of the same recordings before deciding to commit to streaming and the streamed sound was always at least as good as the CD, usually it was a little bit better. That goes for lossless Tidal and Qobuz, and Spotify Premium is often damn close. Certainly nothing like the differences I am hearing with this.

There seems something a little strange going on with YouTube streaming, but maybe only with the sound of their music videos.

I'm Grant.

as long as i like what i hear, i dont care what they do to it. spotify, through my eqalify addon is very good.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Justin.

Jerry when you go onto YouTube proper it is a hotchpotch of what anyone could have uploaded.

The app I assume is using YT controlled content.

That's why on YouTube proper you'll find multiple versions of the same thing, which will vary in quality since the source is undefined/unknown.

I'm Grant.

think normal youtube is either 128 or 192 on streaming.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12