+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Werner’s system

I'm Werner.

Default Werner’s system

The desk in my office.

From left to right: LaCie 1 TB harddisk, connected via Firewire to a Mac Mini (1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM) running Mac OS X version 10.6.7, Beresford Caiman+ DAC (Toslink connection to the Mini), Fatman iTube valve amp, Q Acoustics 1000i bookshelf speakers (the matching subwoofer 1000Si is placed below the desk as shown in the first picture).

My favourite location for headphone listening. Digital signal from an Airport Express is sent via Toslink to another Beresford Caiman+ which is connected to a …

Schiit Valhalla headphone amplifier.

The floor-standing Triangle Zays Esprit loudspeakers in the living room upstairs.

From left to right: Loudspeaker detail, Apple Airport Express, Yamaha AX-592 integrated amplifier (bottom). Yamaha CDX-890 CD player (very rarely used), Yamaha T-550 tuner, Beresford Caiman, Sony DTC-790 DAT deck (top).

Wireless streaming can be routed to any point in the house, either from the Mac Mini on the desk or my Macbook Pro. The Mac Mini can also be controlled remotely via my iPhone. Currently my sound library contains 631 albums, all ripped to Apple Lossless format (mostly by using the XLD audio ripper).

During the last six months the most popular artists I listened to were Anouar Brahem, Lucinda Williams, Roy Orbison, Kraftwerk, Penguin Café Orchestra, Tord Gustavson Trio, Fabrizio de André, Keb’ Mo’, Diana Krall, Madeleine Peyroux, Rebecca Pidgeon, Tori Amos, Jan Garbarek, Bob Dylan and Neil Young.

Gear highlights of my analogue era were a Thorens turntable, a Revox A77 reel-to-reel tape recorder and a Nakamichi cassette deck, but this was long time ago. Can’t remember anymore the last time I played a vinyl LP.
    Last edited by Werner Berghofer; 30-05-2011 at 05:06.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Nobody.

Looks like you have awesome view out of your window!

Do they make that Valhalla in Black?

I'm ILOB.

Lovelly View and very tidy set up
    If you can moght be worth moving out the speakers from the wall it should help, but might not be possible
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Werner.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Do they make that Valhalla in Black?
    No, unfortunately not :-( I would be the first customer buying a black version, but most of the time when I’m listening to headphones my eyes are closed anyway.

The view from the big window in the living room indeed is very nice.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Werner.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    worth moving out the speakers from the wall it should help, but might not be possible
    Yes, this is a good suggestion, but unfortunately it’s not possible to find another place for these speakers. It took a lot of effort to convice my girlfriend that these speakers really do sound much better than the micro system she used before we met :-)

When I’m alone at home I often place the speakers away from the window, turn them a little bit more to their sides and move the chair right to the sweet spot opposite to the speakers. It’s really a pity, because these speakers do sound excellent, but most of the time they are used for background music in the living room. My serious listening sessions take place either via headphones or in the near-field situation in my office.

In my flat in Vienna which I left seven years ago, these speakers were positioned in a much better way:

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Beautiful place Werner, with styling I really like and as you know I'm not an Apple fan, but for you it really fits I'm liking the headphone amplifier too and I'm looking for one at the moment, so thanks for the link.

Stunning view too, I would love to come home to a place like that after a hard days work.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm OneOfTheSevenModsWhoToldMarcoNotToLiftHarry'sBan.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Berghofer View Post

Sod the hi-fi,your house and THAT view look awesome.

You're a very lucky man,Werner.

ATB

David

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I'm not getting the images - looks like everyone else is, though...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Yep, lovely photos of Werner's fabulous (though disappointingly curtain-free) room.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Must agree about the house & view Looks like a condominium the kind of thing you'd get on a hillside in Hollywood.

Nice system Werner, great music, lovely place & a view like that... Must be a wonderful place to chill out

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Has avatar covered your screen in paint Alex
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast