+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Going Linear with the Caiman

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Hey Pete, good to see you on AOS.

Bringing this thread full circle somewhat, I've Stans recommended Maplin linear CB Radio PSU and found it was a nice step up over the stock switched unit.
    Of course it can be upgraded..and many of the guys on here would be interested in doing that I'd imagine?

Any thoughts Pete what could be done specifically with this supply? Start of with teh general advice given above or....?

maybe an Idoit's guide (for me at least!)..we all like to get most bang for our buck round these parts...

thanks.
    would need to see the curcuit ..

but try 11dq10's inplace of the rectifier doides as a jumping off point

I'm Chris.

Being a complete and utter numpty when it comes to wires n' things I don't usually tinker with electrical stuff but having read Stan's idiot proof instructions on this thread I decided to have a go with this upgrade.

I bought the psu described from Maplin's today, removed the cover and did as Stan says inside the unit. With heart in mouth I cut the dc cable from the Caiman psu for connection to the new one. Had a real fright though when I stripped it and saw the cable wasn't the twin run I was expecting. After much deliberation with my dark side I figured out the connection and, at arms length, switched on.

Wow....what a transformation! I use the Caiman with a Duet (bought a new psu for this today also) and am staggered by the improvement. More clarity, better separation, better imaging, overall much cleaner sound. This is now by far my best source, I'm very happy!!

Thanks Stan.
    Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by sarnies View Post
    This is now by far my best source, I'm very happy!!.
    And no doubt very proud of your first attempt at modifying an electrical product you only just bought . All that fun from me at no extra cost.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    And no doubt very proud of your first attempt at modifying an electrical product you only just bought . All that fun from me at no extra cost.

Ha ha, have a drink on me

I don't think I'll be rushing off to buy a soldering iron though
    Chris.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223