+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Nelson Pass B1 preamp build

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Iíve got great respect for DIY gear. Iíve been wanting to build my own stereo for years! Iím sure it sounds just that extra bit better when you build it yourself. Nice thread and a great project!

Russell
    Thanks Russell, I am sure its impossible to be impartial when listening to it. When you've DIY'd something, it certainly adds a bit of enjoyment. You also get the "I wonder if I change....." Feeling a lot too. Which can be quite distracting.

Overall, I've been very lucky to have Alan's help and the help of AlanT on this one so it's turned out well.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK5 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken & Tesla Valves)
    Digital: NONE
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 & Monarchy Audio SM-70 Class A Amplifier
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & NEW SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

I'm AnDreW.

I’ve got great respect for DIY gear. I’ve been wanting to build my own stereo for years! I’m sure it sounds just that extra bit better when you build it yourself. Nice thread and a great project!

Russell
    better in most cases. Great thread BTW.
    SS CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DAC Caiman SEG+15V PSU DECK 1210 Mat Analog Studio Crystal Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony arm Board Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/Jaeger(low-impedance) connector/3 StageRegs/Recapped PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

Valve PRECroft Epoch(Mega Modded) AMP Sondex S100 SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Reference XO DECK Garrard301 Mat Teunto Bearing 401 Plinth Moldovan Arms 3009/3012(Ikeda Ag wired) PSUEagle+Tachometer MCAg Meister SPU v2 CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ Speaker VdH 6mm Blue IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostage Paradise (4 Box)

I'm Brian.

Iíve got great respect for DIY gear. Iíve been wanting to build my own stereo for years! Iím sure it sounds just that extra bit better when you build it yourself. Nice thread and a great project!

Russell
    +1 . Wish I had listened at school
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server .
    DAC 3 French DAC
    Amplifier : Rega Brio R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Chord Epic Twin

I'm Oliver.

Thanks Andrew!

Heres a pic of it now hum free (separation of the common earth on in and out puts has done the trick)

Wait, no it's back lol

Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK5 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken & Tesla Valves)
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & NEW SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable

I'm Brian.

Well done mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server .
    DAC 3 French DAC
    Amplifier : Rega Brio R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Chord Epic Twin

I'm Geoff.

Glad you got it sorted Oliver. What's it sound like?

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Glad you got it sorted Oliver. What's it sound like?
    Geoff, the hum returned when I screwed the lid on. Not as bad but it's there. More investigation to do.

Soundwise, i am finding it preferable to the Slagle. As good as the Slagle is, the bass control wasnt really what I was looking for. After having a listen to some very good Solid state stuff, I really wanted to try and improve the bass.

After doing some reading and chatting with Al, we thought about trying a buffer such as the DCB1 in the Slagle. The other issue I had was Volume. My Phonostage has high gain so I couldn't get the volume low enough for evening listening. I decided to just go for an all new (ideas) pre instead.

I was a little hesitant to sell the Slagle but it's the only way I could finance the DCB1.

First impressions are, it was a wise move. There are some caveats, the RG316 isn't a cable I'd pick to wire the DCB1 but I didn't have an alternative. I've found that although it's a very revealing cable, it's a little harsh and etchy. This is apparent in the listening.

Bass control has improved massively and has far more slam. It's no deeper, frequency wise but just under better control now. The soundstage is massive, as it was with the Slagle and in relation to the treble, I can't really tell at the minute because of the cable. Once I've swapped the RG316 for UP-OCC the characteristics will change again so I'm not listening too critically.

I don't feel like I've lost anything by taking the gamble. So that's good news. I also expect it to improve with the new wiring.

I'm Alan.

Great job BTW Jamie

This Rane article has some interesting reading on grounding schemes

http://www.rane.com/note151.html

Alan
    Last edited by 337alant; 08-07-2018 at 08:41.
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, SME 3009/2 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20 - Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Voyager Mono Block, Speakers Tannoy precision 6.4 / Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Mark.

Oliver, I share your view regarding RG316 - bloody awful stuff for audio use.

100% Analogue

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Oliver, I share your view regarding RG316 - bloody awful stuff for audio use.
    Seems very harsh to me. I like the insight it gives but I can get that with SPOTFIRE stuff.

Luckily, I have some of my cable of choice on the way. Cannot wait to get it done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast