+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Nelson Pass B1 preamp build

I'm John.

Hi Alan
    The circuit board text states.
    Simplistic Pass B1 Buffer, RPRE V2.2, August 2015, Design by Rudi Ratlos.
    It is going away for assembly today.
    Am I correct to assume, it will not be comparable to the recent designs being created, if the circuit is looking different.

Bigman80 Guest

Hi John,

This is the PCB I associate with the Korg B1 https://diyaudiostore.com/products/b...-pcb-and-jfets

I don't think it works in the same way as the DCB1 IIRC. I'd have to do some digging.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    Hi Alan
    The circuit board text states.
    Simplistic Pass B1 Buffer, RPRE V2.2, August 2015, Design by Rudi Ratlos.
    It is going away for assembly today.
    Am I correct to assume, it will not be comparable to the recent designs being created, if the circuit is looking different.
    Where did you get it, John. I cant even find a thread online for it?

I'm John.

It came of DIY audio, the seller is still on page two of the sales page, with a few Hypex devices.
    Have a look at post history and it is a as placed in May.
    The builder is the guy on the circuit board, who has a history of activity on the B1 thread on DIY audio.
    It was purchased at under the ad price, as it was a impatient punt from my end, with 2019 being dedicated to investigations of pre amps, that is limping along.

I'm Steve.

B1 layout.jpg

My B1 in build stage, it is the "Ten Years After" Mezmerise verion from DIYAudio.
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Chris.

It would help IMO to see schematics, to make the thread tangible as to what one version is vs another.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty View Post
    B1 layout.jpg

My B1 in build stage, it is the "Ten Years After" Mezmerise verion from DIYAudio.
    I have a DCB1 built by a friend (http://teribil-audio.com/2018/06/dcb1-preamplifier/) with the same board. If you want to get better sound from it, upgrade the 8 resistors around the output to Audio Note Tantalum. I also upgraded the 2 big caps to Mundorf ones and the 5 smaller caps to Audio Note. In basic form, the DCB1 is really good but when upgraded, it is very, very good. The sound quality to cost ratio is astonishing.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ijrussell View Post
    I have a DCB1 built by a friend (http://teribil-audio.com/2018/06/dcb1-preamplifier/) with the same board. If you want to get better sound from it, upgrade the 8 resistors around the output to Audio Note Tantalum. I also upgraded the 2 big caps to Mundorf ones and the 5 smaller caps to Audio Note. In basic form, the DCB1 is really good but when upgraded, it is very, very good. The sound quality to cost ratio is astonishing.
    Couldn't agree more with the AN Tantalum. Awesome capacitors.

Just give the legs a rub with wire wool before installing and a little clean as the ones I got were really grubby.

I've made that standard procedure now lol

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by ijrussell View Post
    The sound quality to cost ratio is astonishing.
    Forget the quality to cost ratio they are just very good regardless.

Still surprises me every time I use it and mine doesn't have any fancy upgrades.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Forget the quality to cost ratio they are just very good regardless.

Still surprises me every time I use it and mine doesn't have any fancy upgrades.
    We need to give yours the treatment Martin.

New psu caps, tantalums, bigger power. The whole nine. Unfortunately, you could do with a better chassis to dissipate the heat.

You'd love it mate. 100%

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast