+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Nelson Pass B1 preamp build

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    I'm also very lucky that when i split the dual mono and rebuilt 2 machines i recouped my costs and 2 people ended up with top quality preamps.

I was one of them and am extremely grateful. I don't know how it would perform with other power amps since as it has no gain it might not be compatible with some, but feeding a Krell KSA50S the sound quality is astonishingly good. Not just for the cost which was peanuts but in absolute terms. Even after a couple of months I still can't get over it. Sounds like hype I know but I don't make such comments lightly and if anyone within striking distance of me wants a listen you're welcome to come over and hear for yourself.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I was one of them and am extremely grateful. I don't know how it would perform with other power amps since as it has no gain it might not be compatible with some, but feeding a Krell KSA50S the sound quality is astonishingly good. Not just for the cost which was peanuts but in absolute terms. Even after a couple of months I still can't get over it. Sounds like hype I know but I don't make such comments lightly and if anyone within striking distance of me wants a listen you're welcome to come over and hear for yourself.
    Hi Martin

I would have been up to upgrade yours if it wasn't for the fact I'm looking after my father in law who had a stroke recently.

It also performs extremely good with pretty much any power amps. Have heard it with quite a few!!!
    Even the Quads.

I will get some time very soon and will pop over to do the upgrade.
    Your dcb1 sounds great but you won't believe what it really is capable of untill you hear it after the upgrade.

F,ing awesome!!!!!

Regards Steve...
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Martin.

Looking forward to that Steve. Actually the only niggle I have with it is the bright blue LED, can we swap that out for an orange one? Got a bit of card covering it over it at the moment!
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

Hi Martin
    Any colour you want mate also dim it a little

Steve..
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Martin.

Current Lash Up:

Bigman80 Guest

Hi Oliver,
    Great write up on your progress.
    I've got a little respite so have decided to add to the thread.
    I've gone through several DCB1 builds including a very expensive dual mono build which was a little disappointing, only because i didn't have the skill to get to the bottom of quite a few issues it had.

I've finally ended up going back to using a single board but stuffed full of boutique parts.
    Ive ended up having tried resistors from 6 manufacturers with audionote tantalums. They work really well and beat the Charcrofts by quite some margin.
    The buffer caps from Nichicon stayed but the Wima caps which are very good indeed were replaced with Jupier caps, they gave the whole sound a lift.

The only thing i really would recommend is to experiment, I did at a huge cost but worth the effort even though it didn't work as it gave me the chance to see what works best.
    I'm also very lucky that when i split the dual mono and rebuilt 2 machines i recouped my costs and 2 people ended up with top quality preamps.

Anyone putting together a dcb1, should budget allow should use tantlum resistors throughout and replace the 2 Wima caps for higher spec caps. Stay with the khozmo, Elma switch and get the best hook up wire you can find, I personally like Oliver's spitfire cable.

Then just sit back and enjoy, very probably, the best preamp I've personally ever heard, knowing you built it yourself

Regards Steve...
    I wanted to call the cables the SPITFIRE but the name was already taken!!!

Totally agree about the experimental aspect. I bought some little lugs, it means I can swap resistors out very easily, without taking the board out or even heating the board.

Ironically, I now have no desire to change anything else lol

I'm Steve.

Hi Oliver

Not needing to change anything else is a really good place to be.

I'm really happy with my setup but i still feel a speaker change is what i need to realise the full potential of my system.

Steve...
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

Hi Oliver

Not needing to change anything else is a really good place to be.

I'm really happy with my setup but i still feel a speaker change is what i need to realise the full potential of my system.

Steve...
    The next change for me will be the listening room. To realise the full potential of the system, the room is the biggest issue. I'm not looking to sell anything else UNTILL the room is built. It could take 10 years though lol

I'm Steve.

Hi Oliver

I'd be more than happy with your system for the next 10 years mate
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The next change for me will be the listening room. To realise the full potential of the system, the room is the biggest issue. I'm not looking to sell anything else UNTILL the room is built. It could take 10 years though lol
    Wait till I get the Tannoys & you get the JM Labs in, you might change your mind. Although that could take ten years too...
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast