+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: On a whim

I'm Mike.

Ok so the 1st PM66SE KI i bought was not quite firing on all cylinders, however not to be deterred i've bought another one, this time it's absolutely mint with not a mark on it anywhere, under the bonnet it's as clean as a whistle too and a real credit to it's former owner. i bought the 1st one on a whim (i liked all that shiny copper) and bought this one as a reference point so that i can gauge the improvements i'll be carrying out to the 1st one. So far though i'm very impressed i can see it being hard to improve without spending significant money.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Mike.

A couple of photos, it's raining and i'm at a loose end

As you can see, it's very clean.

I'm Geoff.

It looks virtually new.

I'm Graham.

Well done, Mike. Looks superb - it should sound superb as well.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It looks virtually new.
    Geoff if i didn't know better i would have thought it was new, i've even got the original manual and KI certificate, both in their original plastic bag

I'm Neil.

Looks pretty clean and simple for a Japanese amp. Less is more.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I think so Neil there’s none of the usual filter and tone control switches and knobs, just volume, input selection and balance and you can bypass that if you want, it sounds great too

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Which is odd because it's American, or at least, was.. Saul Marantz was born in N.Y. and was responsible for some really class kit from the fifties onward. His 8B (?) valved tuner was and still is world class, and his seventies receivers were unparalleled. I had the top quadraphonic receiver with oscilloscope in around '76 (what an expensive fiasco that format was !)

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Which is odd because it's American, or at least, was.. Saul Marantz was born in N.Y. and was responsible for some really class kit from the fifties onward. His 8B (?) valved tuner was and still is world class, and his seventies receivers were unparalleled. I had the top quadraphonic receiver with oscilloscope in around '76 (what an expensive fiasco that format was !)
    They have been based in Japan now for many years.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Mike.

Must admit i'm really loving this amp, the MM phone stage is particularly good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234