+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yamaha studio amps, any opinions?

I'm Lawrence.

Got some NOS Mullard 12SN7GTs today, fitted them in the Croft, sounding just right through the Yamaha, very happy tonight

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Edward.

Had the chance of listening to this Yamaha amp at Lawrence's pad today - driving his beautiful Ushers. Wow!

The yammy's just kept on giving and giving. We tried various preamps and various types of music, all of which the yammy handled without a bead of sweat being broken. Just a magnificent sense of 'being there'.

A nugget that simply shines. Reference quality.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks Edward, yes it did seem to be remarkably transparent to the changes in preamps we tried, also this evening switching between my Octave and Tri Vista dacs and passive pre. It just punches nicely above its weight.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 07-07-2018 at 16:56.

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Always when I'm skint (I'm skint 90% of the time these days ) How much did you want for it?

The DC300A used to be regarded as an animal when I started back in 73 or so, but it's a bit of a softie now, albeit a powerful one.
    So sorry for the late reply...I have 2..
    Both from Air Studio's, I was assured that they didn't do any hard work....used to feed 10 "Cans" around the studio. The better one stands me in for £350. Serviced + has full complement of Transistors.
    The cheap one, has a transistor removed from each channel, (Can't get the originals anymore apparently..one blew...) but balance and serviced. Little less power, but still sounds good. That one is £280
    These are perfect for driving power hungry speakers...I latched on to these via a friend of mine who designed high end amps in the eighties. He highly rates these amps, (quoted: Nothing comes near it for £700!)
    So I tried them, and I agree. They've got to got, as I'm sticking with my Omniphonics Research S100 for sentimental reasons, and I'm neglecting my Valve kit. As for other studio high end kit, I'm also sticking with my Tannoy SR 804, I know the surgeon who delivered it.
    As for Studio amps with internal fans, thats a no no for me; rings true of industrial use...but I must be careful, as the ears have that last laugh!
    Last edited by donmarrese; 10-07-2018 at 22:15. Reason: typo's galore

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123