+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quad ESL 57 Alternatives

I'm John.

Default Quad ESL 57 Alternatives

I have read on here how certain ESL 57 owners have been teased away from their old faithfuls, by modern designed speakers.
    This has now got my curiosity and I am willing to re-evaluate where I am at present in my plans for a speaker set up, as a result I am willing to follow up on suggestions that may prove my idea,s surpassable.

Firstly, I would like to fulfill my old ambition of Stacked Quads, I can do this immediately as I have Original Quad 57's and OTA refurbished Quads 57's.
    I feel the OTA's are performing better than the Originals due to them being the newest in relation to receiving a overhaul. My plan has been to seek out a OTA refurbished speaker with identical components and having a similar time line in relation to a overhaul. This is going to be a waiting game.
    As a further addition to this set up, I was intending on experimenting, using a open baffle sub woofer and a Tweeter to attempt to get close to full range. This sort of fiddling is not my skill set, so it would be a real fumble.
    The Bass Drivers and Tweeters could have also been used as components in a Passive OB Speaker system. The OB idea has been a long term ambition of mine, I have great memories from my first investigations and most recent one into OB's, I,m sure most of what I've heard are Active OB's and can only say I have only heard a Passive OB very recently.
    My 845 P/P monoblocks are complete and being picked up today, so I am now in a position to create my make old bones system.
    After such a long break from HiFi system building and enjoying replays, I am now close to having stepped back on at the point where I stepped off the system building wagon.
    A lot has changed in my absence, especially the forum networking and the emergence of a broad communal information supply on how to extract the best from a system are a reasonable price.
    I am interested in receiving any views that will offer a affordable alternative investigation.

I'm Martin.

With 4 ESLs you've also got the option to run them as a horizontal array as described here:

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/1...57-experiment/
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

I remember seeing a image of these on a very basic stand.
    It is a array I could investigate in the future, when the space can be given up without too much disruption caused.
    I would like to know a little more about the ideal positioning of each speaker.

I'm Martin.

Space is required that is true but I thought you'd be interested in the concept if you hadn't seen it before. It was new to me.

I like your idea of adding the open baffle sub, I guess that would be a dipole design? I looked into this a while back, there is lots of research and experimentation on the 'net to go through. It seems to be the case that the dipole is very fussy about where you place it, and the best results were obtained with the sub placed close to the listener.

That put me off since that arrangement is impractical with my room size and layout. But it is apparently very effective if done right.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread