+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Speakers gave me a scare!

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    They look like a serious attempt at Hi end to me, and it is surprising at the sort of price they must be, that a switch should fail. But then they do little work and so oxidation will occur.

I had that on an ATC integrated because the motor driven volume control had not been used for years, my using it as a master gain control only. A few turns and the carbon brush commutator relationship was restored. That might also be the case with your switches.

The appearance of the wiring does worry me, (having been trained to Def. Spec. standards), I am currently re-wiring my ATC SCA2 to tidy it up.

Your speaker's company name to me implies a concern for longevity, and so not quickly outdated.
    What was the original purchase price, and when?
    I did tidy the wires up a bit when I put it back together, but they never rattled or caused any problems in the past. I found a date on the rear of the circuit board for March 1997. So that makes them 21 years old now! The man I bought them from some 10 years ago said he paid $7300 US. And I bought them from him for $2000 US. He even threw in a beautiful pair of Legacy speaker wires that he paid $400 for. He was moving to Australia and was in a hurry to sell them.

These Focus models received great reviews in their day, and were considered a bargain at the price. They still make a version of this speaker, but it looks a bit advanced, extra angles on the cabinet and improved drivers, and bigger prices. It is truly a full range speaker, with a claimed bottom range of 18Hz. I don’t have any material that low, but a recording of some Uriah Heep has some synth bass that will rattle the whole house! And smooth highs to match, lifelike midrange, I’ve been very pleased with them, ever since I matched them to a 300 watt Krell. Before that I had a Forte’ Model 3, approx. 150, 200 watts maybe? And it wasn’t cutting it. Oh it played, but didn’t possess the magic they have now. It’s so true that your amp is the heart of your stereo, every piece improved, front to back, when I bought that amp.

But I can forgive the toggle switch after 21 years setting behind three 12” woofers. Probably shook it to pieces?

Russ

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    Good job, Russel! Glad your tunes are back, and yes, I would miss my tunes as well. I used to live not far from where Legacy speakers were made years ago, Springfield, Illinois if I recall, or close to there. Not sure if they are still in that location, seems to me they have moved...anyway, enjoy the music!

Just checked, still in Springfield!
    Yes I just emailed the factory. I emailed them 10 years ago when I first bought them, and they sent me the owner’s manuals for them! Even though I was very straight with them they were second hand. And now, at 21 years old, they didn’t hesitate to assist me in my repairs! Definitely a good company.

Russ

I'm Dennis.

Is the oblong tweeter a Heil or a ribbon, and how high does the spec say they go?

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Is the oblong tweeter a Heil or a ribbon, and how high does the spec say they go?
    It’s a Ribbon tweeter, and the new models claim a frequency response of 18Hz-30KHz. But I seem to remember these 20 year old units topping out at 26KHz? They don’t sound bright in the least, very smooth on top. Crossover points are 120, 2.8K, and 8K.

A month ago or so, I was listening to the radio, and decided to put on a CD. I forgot to lower the volume, and when the first drum beat hit it scared the crap out of me! It must have been over 120db! I dove across the room to lower the volume, but afterwards I was amazed at just how clean and clear it was as it was about to kill me. On the other extreme, it sounds very full and well rounded at low volumes, lower volumes than you’d ever think you would listen to a stereo.

Russ

I'm Ian.

I know that feeling all too well. A little while ago one of my Mordaunt Short Signifer 12 inch woofers suddenly developed distortion. Thinking that it was probably a bit of sag in the rubber suspension I turned the driver around 180 degrees ( not straightforward as the driver's magnet is bolted to the rear baffle with a steel rod at a specific torque as well as four hefty set screws on the front ). Anyway I reassembled everything and the distortion was even worse so dismantled it all again and rotated the woofer back 90 degrees, put it all back together and phew, distortion gone. Not too sure what I would have done if this hadn't worked as the chances of finding replacement drivers for the 35 year old Signifers is pretty unlikely, I guess I might have been able to get them re coned but even Mordaunt Short were unable to suggest where I could get this done. So I certainly understand how you felt with your recent emergency Russell.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I know that feeling all too well. A little while ago one of my Mordaunt Short Signifer 12 inch woofers suddenly developed distortion. Thinking that it was probably a bit of sag in the rubber suspension I turned the driver around 180 degrees ( not straightforward as the driver's magnet is bolted to the rear baffle with a steel rod at a specific torque as well as four hefty set screws on the front ). Anyway I reassembled everything and the distortion was even worse so dismantled it all again and rotated the woofer back 90 degrees, put it all back together and phew, distortion gone. Not too sure what I would have done if this hadn't worked as the chances of finding replacement drivers for the 35 year old Signifers is pretty unlikely, I guess I might have been able to get them re coned but even Mordaunt Short were unable to suggest where I could get this done. So I certainly understand how you felt with your recent emergency Russell.
    It’s a similar feeling to a pet being sick, if your dog or cat is ailing, and the accompanying feeling of money slipping through your fingers.

Russ

I'm charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    Lockwood Audio can help with the Signifer bass unit if need be.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by 57charles View Post
    Lockwood Audio can help with the Signifer bass unit if need be.
    Thankyou Charles, that is very useful information.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12