+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Russia 2018

I'm brian.

Always support the home nation in World Cup. Go USSR go.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I was away at the weekend, so missed some crucial games, although caught the highlights... Not surprised that France beat Argentina, in a 7-goal thriller, as they were (and still are) one of my tips for potential winners, and on that showing it looks like they're warming up for the task nicely!

I was also not surprised to see Uruguay beat Portugal, as they're perfectly equipped to go far in this tournament. I predicted at least to the semi-finals, and I see no reason to change my opinion on that.

However, I didn't foresee Russia putting Spain out, who I'd tipped to win it - that was a major surprise!

Hey ho... For me now, it'll either be Brazil or France who'll end up taking the trophy, but if England can beat Columbia, then who knows? It's the most wide open World Cup for years, and with many of the 'big-hitters' already out, England could surprise, however Columbia will prove a stern test.

I was also pleased to see Croatia win (by the skin of their teeth), on penalties, against Denmark. I have a soft spot for them, due to my wife's Croatian/German heritage, on her father's side, plus Modric is one of my favourite players, although that penalty he missed was shocking! They could also be dark horses, but they've never really handled pressure well when they most need to win.

Looking forward to watching Brazil later and seeing how 'at it' they'll be, in terms of their chances of winning the cup. I'm looking for a big performance from them against Mexico, similar to France's against Argentina, who really stepped it up when they needed to! And I suspect Belgium vs. Japan could produce some goals!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Not looking forward to any antics from Neymar, though I'm at work so won't be watching but Brazil are starting to click, could Mexico upset them? I really like the team spirit they seem to have, good luck to them I say.

Belgium to come out and really perform against Japan I think.

Not sure about England v Colombia, I just think Colombia are well capable of taking England apart if James is fully fit.

Sweden are going to be hard to beat but the Swiss have something about them in this tournament.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Martin.

Can't believe Spain could not beat Russia. Another tenner down the grid.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Can't believe Spain could not beat Russia. Another tenner down the grid.
    With Spain out and Germany it is proving a very difficult tournament to bet on?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

It is, I've given up in fact.

The predictions I had for the first round of games were almost all spot on. if I'd have stopped there I would have made out like a bandit. For the second round everyone started playing tactically and I didn't take that into account. Live and learn, I suppose.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Japanese really giving the Belgians some grief.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Good comeback by Belgium
    3-2. Play Brazil next
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up Brazil 2 Mexico 0 / Belgium 3 Japan 2

Well, today's two games definitely didn't disappoint!

A goal and an assist (for Firmino), from Neymar, seals the win for Brazil, who I thought looked very professional throughout, and with their quality up front, did just enough to win. I've said before that this is an altogether more solid and disciplined Brazil side, compared with the more 'flamboyant' ones of the past, but still with talented players in key positions, and for me that makes them (along with France) very credible favourites to win the tournament.

As predicted, there were goals galore in the Belgium vs. Japan game, although, I didn't expect Belgium to make such heavy weather of getting their victory! However, coming back from 0-2 down, in the knockout stages of the World Cup, is no mean feat, and shows that the players have real desire and character, as well an abundance of skill.

The third goal they scored (by Nacer Chadli), in a breathtaking passing movement, direct from a Japan corner kick, was simply sublime! However, they took Celtic's Boyata out of their defence and promptly lost two goals However, more seriously, his replacement, Kompany, had a good game. He certainly doesn't lack stamina, returning from injury and playing like that.

However, credit also goes to Japan, who scored two cracking goals themselves and never gave up - at 2-2 they were still trying to win the game right up to the end, instead of playing for extra time like most teams do. In that respect, Japan always have a refreshing attitude!

So, onto tomorrow now, and the big one with England. However, before that it's Sweden vs. Switzerland.

I can see that one being quite tight, and have mixed feelings about who I'd like to win, as my favourite player of all time, Henrik Larsson, will be in the studio wanting Sweden to win, and Celtic's Mikkel Lustig will be in their starting line-up, whereas Shaqiri, another one of my favourite players, will be starring for Switzerland.

I'll side with wanting Sweden to win, but I feel that Switzerland might pinch it in extra time - or it could well go to penalties!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm brian.

Great trolling by Eric Cantona re neymar and his acting/diving antics.

Love it

http://www.goal.com/en-om/news/i-cal...h100uklmu45ab3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast