+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DD Heaven? We'll see...

I'm Shane.

Default DD Heaven? We'll see...

Ooops. Just bought a Dual 701 off Ebay for £60. Am I mad?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nope!

Showz the link so we can have a peeky-poo...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Shane.

'yer tiz. God knows what sort of state it'll be in. Delivery was 39 Euros.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...1662%26fvi%3D1

I'm Guy.

The Papst motor and associated electronics might be put to good use in a new project if it doesn't work well enough as is. You'd probably need to replicate the mass of platter it has to control to get it absolutely right.

As I said elsewhere, its the same motor Goldmund used in the Studio which was a fabulous TT so the potential is definitely there.

I'm Shane.

That was one of my thoughts as well. I've been thinking of making a DD version of my current home-made slate-based idler TT, and the Papst motor would suit it brilliantly. There are three options; use it as it is, treat it to a slate-deck type plinth a la Lenco, or use the motor in a home-brew. It all depends on what sort of state it's in when it gets here.

My first post here:

A very good DD motor it is. Not much of the so-called "DD sound" some speak of. I have one Dual 701 in full working order, and I have used another motor in this project:

EDS1000 motor, (I didn't believe it is Pabst ), slate plinth, acrylic platter from DIY Hifi Supply (same as the BiX), and acrylic arm boards. Stroboscopic lamp behind platter, so that the stroboscope is visible through the edge of the platter. In this setup it is one mdf arm board, just so that I can try the turntable. It will have diy arms as well, some day

Trond Kjetil
    Give me the good ol' turntables..
    Thorens lovers forum admin

I'm InSpace.

Wow... great stuff!

DIY rules!!!

Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

That is gorgeous, acrylic just looks so good. How lucky it sounds good too!

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Shane.

Well, it's arrived, and I have to say a bit of a curate's egg. The good news is that the motor and electronics are fine, and the chassis, although scruffy, is sound. The plinth arrived with a split corner, but it's a really horrid flimsy concoction of plastic and chipboard so will be discarded anyway. Likewise the lid is in several pieces. The most difficult part is the arm. The headshell is drooping by about 10 degrees, the bearings are loose and the auto mechanism is all over the place but I don't think there's anything there that can't be sorted out. The difficult bit is the counterweight; this is a rather clever piece of lateral thinking which consists of two weights, one inside the other, each suspended on a rubber mounting to damp out resonances in the arm. Both rubber mountings have come apart so both weights are loose on the stem and I simply cannot see how to take it apart. It may be a case of just glueing the whole thing together, but I'd like to start off with the arm functioning as it was designed, so thinking caps on...

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Sounds like you have your work cut out. Any pictures so we can appreciate how much work is required?

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast