+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spendor S8 (not S8e): to buy or to wait?

I'm Marco.

(OT: David, I'm curious about the Dual turntable in your profile picture, since I have one of those put aside - it's a 1019, right? How is your experience with it? I have a Townshend Rock Reference, but I often think about the possibility of taking the little Dual out for example for mono records...)

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by mscili View Post
    (OT: David, I'm curious about the Dual turntable in your profile picture, since I have one of those put aside - it's a 1019, right? How is your experience with it?
    There is a thread about the 1019 here:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...961#post984961

(was reading it earlier just by chance...

I'm Marco.

There is a thread about the 1019 here:
    Thanks Mike!

I'm James.

I think, with the restrictions on space, you might be better off with a pair of active studio monitors.
    They will give you proper bass extension in a small footprint, many are designed for nearfield use, and theres no amp matching issues. Those BBC style mini-monitors you mention have little bass extension, lovely though they are with midrange.
    The Hedd 07 are popular and highly regarded. There's a pair on DIYAudio at the minute but I'd buy new given the price, for peace if mind. You should be able to get home demo from a pro audio shop.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Marco.

Just a word to thank everybody again. Later today I'll give the final answer to the seller of the Spendor S8, and that answer will be a "yes", because it's clear that to get a significant improvement over them I'd have to spend a very long time searching and experimenting... And I'd have to invest probably at least the double amount of money (in the used market, and around six times the amount if buying new). Even with the limitation imposed by my room setup (and with my not powerful amplifier) they make music in a believable way, and I still couldn't find any recording which sounds "unlistenable" on them, which is a very important point with me (while I like that all recordings sound very different). And some funds are left for a better digital source (which I really need...).
    Next step will be good loudspeaker cables, and some trick so that the spikes don't make holes in my wooden floor (but I very much don't like the marmor plates which the previous owner gave me to put under them...). Any experience of how the Soundcare spikes affect the sound of these loudspeakers?

Thanks to all, this is a wonderfully informative and constructive forum!

I'm Martin.

and I still couldn't find any recording which sounds "unlistenable" on them, which is a very important point with me (while I like that all recordings sound very different).
    That's always a sign that you are on the right track so I suspect you are making a good decision.

You can always experiment with different amplification further on down the road.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Robert.

Just a word to thank everybody again. Later today I'll give the final answer to the seller of the Spendor S8, and that answer will be a "yes", because it's clear that to get a significant improvement over them I'd have to spend a very long time searching and experimenting... And I'd have to invest probably at least the double amount of money (in the used market, and around six times the amount if buying new). Even with the limitation imposed by my room setup (and with my not powerful amplifier) they make music in a believable way, and I still couldn't find any recording which sounds "unlistenable" on them, which is a very important point with me (while I like that all recordings sound very different). And some funds are left for a better digital source (which I really need...).
    Next step will be good loudspeaker cables, and some trick so that the spikes don't make holes in my wooden floor (but I very much don't like the marmor plates which the previous owner gave me to put under them...). Any experience of how the Soundcare spikes affect the sound of these loudspeakers?

Thanks to all, this is a wonderfully informative and constructive forum!
    Nice one Marco, Spendors are great speakers.

With regard to the Soundcare Superspikes, they are excellent in my experience and I wouldnt be without them, they are a no brainer purchase.

They obviously get the speakers of up / de-coupled from direct contact with the floor.

I was introduced to them here and found bass become more tuneful and accurate on my Mission 752 Freedoms.

I have a suspended floor so a nice improvement for me, I would not be without them.

I immediately purchased two sets for my Spendor D7's as they are the larger thread M8 fit whereas the 752's were M6.

They also make the speakers look great without detracting from them, blinging things up too much and costing daft money which is why I didnt go to something like the IsoAcoustics GAIA feet.

You'll find moving your speakers about a doddle too unlike normal spikes with spike shoes which are a nightmare and health 'laceration' hazzard

Big reco' for Soundcare Superspikes from me
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Geoff.

How about a different approach. I am not a big fan of subwoofers in general, but this may be a solution to your room constraints. I am assuming that you have more flexibility with speaker spacing if you wall mount the speakers.

Have a listen to a pair of Martin Logan Motion 2 or Motion 4 speakers. These are modestly priced but offer a real taste of high end audio. Yes, bass extension is severely limited, but they are fast, dynamic and detailed with outstanding imaging performance. Much of this is down to the use of an Air Motion Tweeter (AMT) which is a highly refined ribbon design. I have a pair of the Motion 2 speakers and rate them very highly. I really like the way they portray piano and with a suitable sub-woofer may be the ideal speaker for your overcrowded room.

Geoff

I'm Clive.

As a Spendor fanboy (I’m on my third pair) I’m here to tell you that you have a great pair of speakers BUT they do need an amp that can control them and I don’t think your amp will be good enough in that respect. It’s not so much about power but the damping factor, which is a very unappreciated issue.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Marco.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    As a Spendor fanboy (I’m on my third pair) I’m here to tell you that you have a great pair of speakers BUT they do need an amp that can control them and I don’t think your amp will be good enough in that respect. It’s not so much about power but the damping factor, which is a very unappreciated issue.
    Thanks Clive for your advice (and sorry for being away from the forum for a while). At the moment I'm still in the phase: "wow, these speakers are so much better than what I had before!", so I'm definitely enjoying them with the Obelisk 3X, but still I'd be curious to know if you have any specific suggestion about some specific amplifier that in your experience may match the S8 in the best way. Then I can put together your suggestions with those from David, and slowly keep an eye open on a possible upgrade... Thanks a lot!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12