+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Wanted: remote volume active pre-amp.

  1. #1
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: gone

    Posts: 11,567
    I'm gone.

    Default Wanted: remote volume active pre-amp.

    I've a Schiit Saga passive pre at the moment, and it's great!
    But for some reason I have a hankering to have an active pre as well.

    So, What Have You?

    Solid state, valves, hybrid - all may be of interest.
    Must have remote control of volume.

    Preferred colour - black (to go with my Trigon monoblocks)
    Preferred price - up to a max of around 1250 (less is OK).

    PMing me might be best.
    Offers from dealers welcome.
    Last edited by jandl100; 08-06-2018 at 10:52.
    .

  2. #2
    Join Date: Aug 2010

    Location: On another forum

    Posts: 683
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Jerry - drop John/Jhud a pm and see if he still has his Herron pre amp for sale. Absolutely up your street, a real Jerry pre

  3. #3
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: gone

    Posts: 11,567
    I'm gone.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordmortlock View Post
    Jerry - drop John/Jhud a pm and see if he still has his Herron pre amp for sale. Absolutely up your street, a real Jerry pre
    Thanks Jake, but I can't find him on AOS as jhud - maybe he sues another ID here?
    I've sent him a msg on the Wam, but he hasn't been on there for a month or so according to his profile.

    ... ah, he's on here as JonH.
    I've found the ad from last October - must have gone by now?
    .

  4. #4
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 6,250
    I'm Justin.

    Default

    Xiang is last session, maybe, but this looks good. No R/C though.

  5. #5
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: gone

    Posts: 11,567
    I'm gone.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Xiang is last session, maybe, but this looks good. No R/C though.
    Hmm yes, nice I'll bet.
    But remote is essential. It won't last long without - I've tried before, no go.
    .

  6. #6
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 6,250
    I'm Justin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Hmm yes, nice I'll bet.
    But remote is essential. It won't last long without - I've tried before, no go.
    I agree especially in my case, but you're a bit closer.

    Jake's reco looks better, really, if it is still hanging around.

  7. #7
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: west mids, UK

    Posts: 2,533
    I'm Phil.

    Default

    silly question this but wouldn`t it be better to get the active version of the saga if you like it ?

    https://schiit.eu.com/Saga

    its one pre on my list
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs, ice power amps /onkyo sacd, modwright jolida dac
    sonos, . tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 3 vbs bc ref s500 marantz sa8005, black ice dsd dac and RFC impulse ta`us , track audio stands

  8. #8
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Tring, Hertfordshire, UK

    Posts: 23
    I'm David.

    Default

    I have a MicroZotl that I may part with Its a headphone amp 1watt integrated or pre amp with 3 inputs and remote for volume control. Outboard Linear PSU I was using it as an integrated into my Avantgarde Horns and it was truly excellent. Not tried it as a pre though. Have a mix of valves for it best ones with the Avantgardes were the Valvo 801s Pinched waists also enjoyed the Siemens 801s. The amp driving a pair of Horns won best sound at show in a high end US Audio Show.

    Based on a David Berning design I believe

  9. #9
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: gone

    Posts: 11,567
    I'm gone.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    silly question this but wouldn`t it be better to get the active version of the saga if you like it ?

    https://schiit.eu.com/Saga

    its one pre on my list
    That's what I have, Phil.

    It's a valve buffer, not a pukka active valve pre.
    Tbh it sounds best in pure passive mode to my ears. The valve just makes it a bit vaguer sounding. I rolled it a bit, ending up with a Brimar as the best. Still not as good as the passive option, though!
    .

  10. #10
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: gone

    Posts: 11,567
    I'm gone.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mongeddavid View Post
    I have a MicroZotl that I may part with Its a headphone amp 1watt integrated or pre amp with 3 inputs and remote for volume control. Outboard Linear PSU I was using it as an integrated into my Avantgarde Horns and it was truly excellent. Not tried it as a pre though. Have a mix of valves for it best ones with the Avantgardes were the Valvo 801s Pinched waists also enjoyed the Siemens 801s. The amp driving a pair of Horns won best sound at show in a high end US Audio Show.

    Based on a David Berning design I believe
    Thanks David, but Ive decided to go with Jon's


    Yes, I know it's got 2 Rs not 1
    .

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •